Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover with BK?

tag
thummel
Established Contributor

Discover with BK?

So I thought I would ask all you a question about discover. My father had a BK that is over 3 years old. Discover was bombarding him with offers and on there pre qual site the apr range is 13.24 to 16.24. My question is do you guys think this is legit or not? He has never had a discover card before. That's really the only thing negative on his report currently and wondering if he should jump on it or not. Thanks..
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover with BK?

Discover has no set in stone policy re BK. Some on this forum have gotten in as soon as a year post BK while others can't get in at all. My wife and I both got separate cards with them at 2 yrs post BK. She has gotten nice CLI while I have not. Go figure. YMMV 

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As previously stated, there is not a set in stone policy with them. I know someoen that got approved right around 3 years after bk and know someone that got denied 6 years after. There is more than just a bk showing that will go into play when they decide to approve an application or decline an application.

Message 3 of 10
thummel
Established Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I know they have no set in stone rule pertaining to BK in paticular. My question is more towards if anyone has been sent an apr range like that with a BK and has actually gotten it. If it's legit anyway I should say. Or is it marketing?
Message 4 of 10
Siopao
Regular Contributor

I can confirm that I got my Discover a little over a month ago with my BK discharge date of 2/2012.  I did get a pre-approval from them in the mail with an APR range but mine wasn't as low as yours.  I didn't qualify for the zero balance transfer, but I did get the double cash back and the APR was on the higher side of the range.  Hope this helps!  Keep us update if you decide to apply.

Message 5 of 10
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Discover seems crazy hit or miss.....I got mine October 2015....I was discharged 5 years from filling date of 7/2010, in August 2015

Hope that makes since

Filed 7/2010, disch. 8/2015 got dicover 10/2015 I think they looked at my filling date of 2010 and approved me off that.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there! I had BK 7 discharged 6/29/2016 and on July 6th last week I was approved for a Discover Card SL $1250 and I never had a Discover Card before.

Message 7 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I think I'd go for it in this situation. The mailers tend to be more solid, and as the examples above show, it can be done.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 10
tussking
Established Contributor

I was 7 months post BK 7 discharge and approved for $1400. Discover was not included in my BK.
Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appd Discover twice over 6 months, both times denied (Feb 2015 & Aug 2015). I figured I wouldn't bother again. But I did notice a few month's after the last decline, they kept soft pulling my EQ report like every other day and I would receive an offer to apply at least three times a week in the mail. Almost daily these Discover offers would be in my mailbox. So finally on Monday after recently being approved for Citi Prestige and Citi Costco, I went to their prequal webpage. The same thing showed up as the previous two times I applied and was declined. It showed an APR range. I was about to give up, but than decided to use the latest "invitation number" I'd received in the newest Discover letter. Instantly approved with 6500.CL and 15.9% APR, which was actually 2 points lower than the range it had just given me on the prequal webpage. So I'd say wait until they start sending you offers repeatedly in the mail. Good luck !!!!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.