cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover won't grant me any further CLI requests - insufficient experience with current limit?

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Discover won't grant me any further CLI requests - insufficient experience with current limit?

@android01 wrote:

Yeah, I stopped getting CLI's completely.  No 2 day message, just an instant denial.  Oh well, I was hoping for 50K or better, but I'll settle for what I have. It was a good run, and lots of fun (haha).  Maybe I'll try in another six months or so. Smiley Happy

yeah I don't get any more sp CLI from them anymore I guess I hit my limit, I don't really use that card that often so that is probably a factor. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 31 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover won't grant me any further CLI requests - insufficient experience with current limit?

I got my first CLI (a double-dip, the first one auto-issued and the second manual with the button) on June 10, bringing my line from $2500 to $3300. I plan to test the button again on or around July 10th after my next statement cuts to see whether I'm on the 30-day track, but I wonder if it might be better to wait until circa August 10th?

Message 32 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd try again at 30 days just to see what happens.  If nothing, move to 60 days and see if you get a different result.

Message 33 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Add me to the list. I am sitting at $3500 and my last incerase from 3-35 was in january. Now all I get is insufficient experience. I guess they really do want me to spend 50% on the card. OK! I can do that. Rent and Car Note are due! Watch this!...
Message 34 of 51
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Even though my first CLI was a success from 2,500-->4,300. Should I bother to even request another one in like 60 more days? All your experiences are telling me I shouldn't but ofc you guys have higher limits.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 35 of 51
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

At this point until something changes with the CLI policy and timing I would suggest 60/90 day intervals.  30's seem to be ruled out for most at this point from what's being posted at times.  

The whole 50% of limit thing is a fluke response from one rep.  Most companies would never recommend ramping up use to 50% of your CL to get an increase.  (of course this means they make more money on swipes / interest if you're not 0% and routinely those using 50%+ for a BT don't see a CLI approval until they've paid it down to under 20%)

While most of us on the train for the past couple of years have come up with a science to further our limit growth with spend and timing the pressing of the button that's all out the door at the moment since 3/29 occured.  It seems there's nothing set in stone for a 6 month rule or anything of the like but, some of us are approaching that here shortly.  

Message 36 of 51
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations TaterDawg. That's an awesome CLI.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 37 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd try again at 30 days just to see what happens.  If nothing, move to 60 days and see if you get a different result.

I'll do that, then...afterward I'll likely follow Austinguy's recommendation and go to a 60-day schedule. As for the 50% util reportedly recommended by at least one Discover customer rep, I'd never heard of that myself from any issuer myself - it seems to fly in the face of every recommendation I've ever read about keeping util as low as possible. When I was discussing my new Visa with the lady at Apple FCU last Monday, she straight-up advised me to keep my utils under the magic 30% to get the best chances of CLI's and product upgrades.

Message 38 of 51
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Nothing lost if you smash the button every 30 days, if you are on the 60 or 90 days schedule youll just get it on that one. If your on the never train, at least Disco will know you're alive lolSmiley Wink
Message 39 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll do that, then...afterward I'll likely follow Austinguy's recommendation and go to a 60-day schedule. As for the 50% util reportedly recommended by at least one Discover customer rep, I'd never heard of that myself from any issuer myself - it seems to fly in the face of every recommendation I've ever read about keeping util as low as possible. When I was discussing my new Visa with the lady at Apple FCU last Monday, she straight-up advised me to keep my utils under the magic 30% to get the best chances of CLI's and product upgrades.

It's important to understand that there's a difference between reporting 50% utilization and using 50% of your credit limit.  It's often recommended to use as much of your credit limit as possible, even 100% or more with multiple payments, as it shows the creditor that not only do you WANT a higher CL, but you essentially NEED one.  It would be in the best interest of both parties, a true win-win, if a CLI was given under these circumstances.  No one would ever suggest allowing an extremely high usage amount on a card to report however.  High usage is great so long as it's paid down and small balance is allowed to report. 

Message 40 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.