cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover won't grant me any further CLI requests - insufficient experience with current limit?

tag
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover won't grant me any further CLI requests - insufficient experience with current limit?

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover just seems to not like me. Smiley Tongue I started out with $800 CL in December. Received $500 AUTO CLI on March 22nd went in same day pressed the love button another $300. I have tried evrey 30 days since, denial.

Finally tried again this morning offered $300.

I canceled the request in hopes that maybe it'll be higher in 31 days.

This card is my lowest CL.

I guess I'm on the 90 day slow train.

While this works for Cap1 it doesn't really do much for Disco.  When I was hitting the button all the time I finally changed it to every other month and got more out of them for each attempt to the tune of 6K/CLI.  If you want more than $300 @give them a call @ 800-347-4856 and see if there's more on the table than online and if you really want more ask them if a HP would help.

Message 21 of 51
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover won't grant me any further CLI requests - insufficient experience with current limit?

I got one for you... Iv gone from the 2-3 day message to instant denials...

Ever see that happen?

I used to  *Always* get a 2-3 day message..

Now its just DENIED

-J

Message 22 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Honestly, discover is one of the more strict credit card issuers, we should all know this by now. I think with 8k you should be happy, a lot of folks well over 6 & 700, clean, still receive denials from Discover.

I disagree with this statement above and think it's just a broad one based perhaps on your personal experience.  To me, I've found them to be probably the least "strict" compared to my other card issuers.  These things vary greatly from person to person, so you can't just make a blanket statement as it won't cover all or even most cases.

Message 23 of 51
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@joltdude wrote:

I got one for you... Iv gone from the 2-3 day message to instant denials...

Ever see that happen?

I used to  *Always* get a 2-3 day message..

Now its just DENIED

-J

Since September, my wife had an instant $7k approval, instant $500 November, 2 day message and $500 December, 2 day message "not enough experience" letter January, 2 day message and $500 February and now 3-5 day instant denials with "not enough experience" letters since her last increase in February.

Message 24 of 51
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Discover is one of the smaller lenders and for their size they have huge intrest. You are not the only person that wants a higher limit and since Discover has to have cash on hand for you limit they will be stingy at higher limits. Discover is usually more lenient at the begining but as time goes on they have less money to throw around. Hitting the CLI button might be ok every 30 days at the beginning but you will quickly find that you need to space out to 60 and 90 days or the increases will become denials. In fact for Discover it is better to space out CLI's to random times between 30 and 90 days to not look desperate. Personally I think getting rid of the 2 day wait for manual review helps more people since the computer is doing the heavy lifting now, there is no wait, and a CSR cannot blindly increase your limit if they feel nice.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 25 of 51
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@zerofire wrote:

Discover is one of the smaller lenders and for their size they have huge intrest. You are not the only person that wants a higher limit and since Discover has to have cash on hand for you limit they will be stingy at higher limits. Discover is usually more lenient at the begining but as time goes on they have less money to throw around. Hitting the CLI button might be ok every 30 days at the beginning but you will quickly find that you need to space out to 60 and 90 days or the increases will become denials. In fact for Discover it is better to space out CLI's to random times between 30 and 90 days to not look desperate. Personally I think getting rid of the 2 day wait for manual review helps more people since the computer is doing the heavy lifting now, there is no wait, and a CSR cannot blindly increase your limit if they feel nice.

When I hit a certain limit and kept getting 2-day's I finally called them and started probing around.  It's not that the analyst can just blindly approve a CLI when you get a 2-day but, that they're actually taking a look at things overall.  Once you hit a certain level they actually have to submit it for a 2nd approval by a manager before you get the increase or denial.  This manager 2nd approval may have been taking place prior to 20/30K CL but, I confirmed it by phone at the ~40K mark due to having an odd $xx,600 limit and wanted to see if they would round it up or down to an even number.  

Disco is anything but robotic when it comes to account management like other banks that do actually blindly approve/deny things depending on their mood.  If you're unhappy with your CLI amount and decide to call them to recon the decision or amount they'll actually look things over before allowing a HP to override the decision or let you know even with a HP it wouldn't increase your limit.  Others like Chase might HP you regardless just for asking about a CLI and then still deny your request.  Sure it seems like there are monkeys manning the keyboards at times but, in reality they put in some effort whereas others don't give a crap about your persoal situation.  The monkeys at Chase just hit the button and let the computer do the work w/o any further thought hence the HP just for asking w/o a review prior to pulling the trigger.  Sure, you can go to Lending with Chase for further review if you're unhappy with the HP and get a 2nd look but, does that actually get things overturned?

I wouldn't consider Disco to be "smaller" by anymeans either since not only do they do direct lending but, they also collect fees for licensing from co-brand issuers.  Now the CU in Fargo with 1 branch would be smaller by comparison to say PF or NFCU.  It's kind of like saying Sprint is a smaller carrier than VZW/ATT/T-Mobile but, they still handle cell services for millions of people.  Sure, Disco is quirky and takes more energy to manage but, the results are usually better in the long run than say handing out 25K limits over at NFCU after a couple of months at 1K.  Sure, they're building their base but, handing out those limits and the market making a shift is going to be disasterous for them in the long run unless they're constantly tweaking their risk profiles.  Sure, Disco hands out meager SL's but, once you get to know each others habits they open up a bit more and start to reward you for being responsible.

Hitting the CLI button every 30 days doesn't make you seem desperate as for a 4 month period starting with the first $6K increase I hit the button every other month and racked up an additional $18K+ in CLI's.  So, the whisper of desparity doesn't ring true with Disco when it comes to hitting the button.  If you're using your accounts in a responsible way asking for more isn't an issue.  Now, if you're balance keeps creaping upwards with each increase showing a deficit in cashflow then chances are you're not going to be seeing much action when it comes to increasing your limit.  There's plenty of theories about spend spend spend and make multiple payments per month to get things moving but, on the other side putting 100-200/mo on there and PIF garners more in the terms of CLI's.  

Maybe it's luck, maybe it strategy, maybe it's your overall profile..... but, you have to figure out what works for you and Disco in order to gain ground if CL's going up are a priority.  The key with Disco though is persistence and not giving up.  There's plenty of potential there if you want it bad enough.  

Message 26 of 51
android01
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I stopped getting CLI's completely.  No 2 day message, just an instant denial.  Oh well, I was hoping for 50K or better, but I'll settle for what I have. It was a good run, and lots of fun (haha).  Maybe I'll try in another six months or so. Smiley Happy

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 27 of 51
TaterDawg
New Contributor

Try giving it a couple of months. I read through this thread and decided to give it a shot. I opened my Discover in Jan 2015 and started with a 10K limit. I didn't apply for or receive a CLI until this past October, when I was bumped up to 13.5K after applying. I waited 6 months and tried again in April, but only got $500, up to 14K. I tried a few minutes ago and was approved for another $5k, taking me to $19k, which is the highest SL on any card for me now.

As of 12/11/2023: FICO8- EQ- 828, TU-820, EX-810 - FICO9- EQ- 853, TU- 851, EX- 820 - FICO10- EQ- 822, TU-815, EX-787

* DCU Platinum $10K * USAA Rewards Sig Visa $18k * Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $7k * Kohls $3k * Amazon Store $10k * Citi DC $5.8k * Discover IT $5.8k * AmEx EveryDay $4.1k * Chase Freedom $3k * CapOne WEMC $10k * Barclay Cashforward $6.9k * Citi Premier $3.6k * USAA AmEx Cashback Rewards $18k * BoA Platinum Plus $15k * USBank Kroger 1-2-3 $10.5k * Amex Hilton Honors $8.7k * PenFed Platinum Rewards $10k * PayPal Credit $5.3k * NFCU GoRewards $18.6k * Walmart MC $10k * AMEX BCP $5K * 5/3 Bank Truly Simple $4.5k * AMEX Gold* CapOne Venture $10K* Chase Southwest RR $7.9k* Citi Costco $7k* Sam's Club MC $10k*
Message 28 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice $5k CLI!

Message 29 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

$8,500? I'll be pretty excited when they get me over $400.

Message 30 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.