Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover wont close my account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover wont close my account

Someone <Discover> just doesn't want to let go.

Maybe the third time will be a charm but i just dont have the energy to call again tonight. Why wont they ley me go?

<Cleaning up posting>

To make a long story short, I called Discovered on 9/5/2017 to close my account and get my deposit back of $300.

The agent transfered me to retention, which they offered 0% for 12 months. I said, "NO thank you!" As I never kept a balance on the card.

Agent informed me the account was closed and I would get an email confirming the closure. 

Checked on-line on 9/6/2017 and account still shows active. Called in again and yeap the account is still active, they didn't close the account. Now I'm like isn't this a CreditOne type move? I asked again for the card to be canceled and my deposit refunded. I told the agent I didn't want to be retained. However, the agent couldn't close the account they had to transfer me. So, I make it perfectly clear to the retention agent that I didn't want any fancy 0% for 12 months, that unless the computer now said I was good enough to go unsecured, to cancel the card ASAP. I was told it should take 24 hours and I would get an email notification that the account is closed and the refund can take up to 2 billing cycles. Is that a normal amount of time? 

Fast forward to yesterday evening 9/7/2017 and I go and check the app to see if the account is closed. But to my surprise the account is still active and the $300 is still available to spend. Seriously, this isn't cool at all. I just don't have the time to play around on the phone again, with these agents, even though they are probably the nicest CSR's I have ever dealt with. 

Other than making another phone call, is there anyway to cancel this account without having to call in again? I don't think I can take another retention attempt.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover wont close my account

Huh?

Not enough info....BUT, if you want to close the account, close it. They can't make you keep it open despite what they may say or offer. 

Message 2 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

And you don't have to call again. Just mail a letter cancelling the credit card effective such and such a date.

Easy, peasy Smiley Very Happy

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although they might try to convince you to keep it, they can't force you to. A simple yet firm statement requesting to close your card is all it takes.
Message 4 of 8
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

When I call to cancel a card, if the customer service rep gives any indication of wanting to transfer my call to the retention department, I always say that I am firm about cancelling, and I don't want to hear any retention offers, so let's complete the account closure on this call.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Listen, breakups are hard and everyone has to process it at their own pace.  It is not an exact science as all of us are different in how we process loss.

Discover has not accepted the fact that you have been breaking up with them for months and it took you that long to actually say it.  Yes, they will move on eventually, but they are currently in Stage 1 denial so this is a process they have to get through.  It's difficult to say what they will do in the anger stage so watch your 6.  But then there is bargaining so you have to stay strong when they come back around with a nice tempting low APR offer or some other sweetener.

Now they will eventually hit depression and will totally leave you alone.  Enjoy your peace and quiet here for they are no longer doing midnight drive bys at your house mailbox seeing who else is in your house.  Eventually they will finally accept the matter until they send over another one of those nice brown envelopes saying hello and see if you want to dance again.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey OP, I recently went through this whole thing with Discover too when I closed my secured card. The rep told me that it would take 3 billing cycles for the account to close and for me to get my deposit back. Sure enough, 3 months passed and I got a statement for each month and my card appeared as though it were active. A few days after the 3rd billing cycle closed I got a check from Discover with my rewards balance, then a week later I finally got my deposit back.

I don't know if it's possible that they use those tactics to try to keep people or if they really have a process that takes that long for cancelling secured accounts. Either way, good luck OP!
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey OP, I recently went through this whole thing with Discover too when I closed my secured card. The rep told me that it would take 3 billing cycles for the account to close and for me to get my deposit back. Sure enough, 3 months passed and I got a statement for each month and my card appeared as though it were active. A few days after the 3rd billing cycle closed I got a check from Discover with my rewards balance, then a week later I finally got my deposit back.

I don't know if it's possible that they use those tactics to try to keep people or if they really have a process that takes that long for cancelling secured accounts. Either way, good luck OP!

Thank you for the heads up. I'll just call tomorrow morning and ask for a supervisor and nip it in the bud. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.