Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovering Stuff with Discover

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discovering Stuff with Discover

Hi, this is my first post, but I have been reading this forum for a long time...  Thanks to all for all the info, btw!

Anyway, I was checking my Credit Karma and found that I have a new account!  That was "interesting" since I haven't applied to anything lately.  So, I checked the information and apparently 3 days ago, my Discover It changed "provider," apparently I was with "Discover Financial" and in the last 72 hours I am with "Discover Bank."  Credit Karma did the whole "new card" display with your "new limit is" (same limit) and stuff like that.  The history of the card did not change (9 months).

My questions are:  Am I the only one that had this change this week?  And, does it mean anything?  Is Discover Bank the "better" part of Discover?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Discovering Stuff with Discover

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, this is my first post, but I have been reading this forum for a long time...  Thanks to all for all the info, btw!

Anyway, I was checking my Credit Karma and found that I have a new account!  That was "interesting" since I haven't applied to anything lately.  So, I checked the information and apparently 3 days ago, my Discover It changed "provider," apparently I was with "Discover Financial" and in the last 72 hours I am with "Discover Bank."  Credit Karma did the whole "new card" display with your "new limit is" (same limit) and stuff like that.  The history of the card did not change (9 months).

My questions are:  Am I the only one that had this change this week?  And, does it mean anything?  Is Discover Bank the "better" part of Discover?  Thanks.

oh wow.... you got me scared for you... no app and  a new account Smiley Surprised....that would have been your nightmare!... but finished reading and no big deal Smiley Happy .... mine shows Discoverbank on CK at least for a week but I do not know if that ever showed as Discover Financial or Discoverbank before...mainly look at what is on my report and never paid attention to the issuer as long as card and limit is what I expect.

and welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 22
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

I noticed the same exact change to my card.

This happens when banks change names/sell accounts and occasionally when cards are reissued after theft.

Nothing to worry about. It won't affect your FICO or AAoA at all. 

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

oh wow.... you got me scared for you... no app and  a new account Smiley Surprised....that would have been your nightmare!... but finished reading and no big deal Smiley Happy .... mine shows Discoverbank on CK at least for a week but I do not know if that ever showed as Discover Financial or Discoverbank before...mainly look at what is on my report and never paid attention to the issuer as long as card and limit is what I expect.

Yes, I don't like those kind of surprises in the middle of the night... Actually, I don't like them in the daylight either... Ha. Ha!

Anyway, so maybe everyone starts with Discover Financial and moves on, for good conduct, to Discover Bank?  I'd like to think I'm progressing, and that's the theory I am choosing to believe...  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

I noticed the same exact change to my card.

This happens when banks change names/sell accounts and occasionally when cards are reissued after theft.

Nothing to worry about. It won't affect your FICO or AAoA at all. 

Did it happen this week for you too?  Or was it some time ago?

Message 5 of 22
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I don't like those kind of surprises in the middle of the night... Actually, I don't like them in the daylight either... Ha. Ha!

Anyway, so maybe everyone starts with Discover Financial and moves on, for good conduct, to Discover Bank?  I'd like to think I'm progressing, and that's the theory I am choosing to believe...  Smiley Happy

....that is a wonderful way to look at it Smiley Happy   ...Let's take that as conclusion !

Message 6 of 22
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Thanks for posting this and welcome to myFICO! The same thing happened with my Discover card reporting on Credit Karma.

Message 7 of 22
newhis
Valued Contributor

My DW CK account show the same in Aug 11 (next update Aug 18), from DISCOVER FIN to DISCOVERBANK.

She was almost 6 months since getting the card.

Message 8 of 22
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Likewise. I noticed the change a couple of weeks ago for me.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 9 of 22
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It looks like they just changed their name but the time i had the Card hasn't changed so i wouldn't worry about it 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.