cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Inaccurate Data When It Doesn't Hurt My Score??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute Inaccurate Data When It Doesn't Hurt My Score??

I have excellent credit (Equifax 785; TU 802; Experian 794), and I'm keen to preserve it.  I have noticed that some old credit cards, which were closed at my request, are being reported as "closed by grantor."  I sent certified letters to these creditors, asking them to close the account and report it as "closed at customer request."  They did not do this.  There appear to be no negative effects on my credit report or score -- and the creditor(s) continue to report the account positively.  Should I bother to correct the error, given that there appear to be no adverse consequences, or should I dispute the error and try to have it corrected?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute Inaccurate Data When It Doesn't Hurt My Score??

@Anonymous wrote:

I have excellent credit (Equifax 785; TU 802; Experian 794), and I'm keen to preserve it.  I have noticed that some old credit cards, which were closed at my request, are being reported as "closed by grantor."  I sent certified letters to these creditors, asking them to close the account and report it as "closed at customer request."  They did not do this.  There appear to be no negative effects on my credit report or score -- and the creditor(s) continue to report the account positively.  Should I bother to correct the error, given that there appear to be no adverse consequences, or should I dispute the error and try to have it corrected?  Thanks.

Welcome to the forums. 

There isn't any effect on your score.  It could be problematic on a manual review by a credit analyst as they might question why a lot (if that's the case) of cards were closed by your creditors.  If it is just a couple cards I wouldn't worry about it.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.