cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute, purchase protection, or SOL

tag
hondo522

Dispute, purchase protection, or SOL

I bought a large item for my wife using my Paypal MC (not a paypal transaction). The item was delivered by truck not FedEx or UPS. When it was delivered, my mother-in-law inspected the box which had some dings, but nothing major. Opened the box and saw that the item's bubble wrap wasn't disturbed, so she signed for it. When we showed up a week later, my wife went to unwrap it and found it cracked. I immediately contacted the merchant who said that we were SOL because my mother-in-law had signed for it and that our only recourse was to repair it (which may or may not be possible).

I checked with the CC company, and the purchase protection is limited to $1,000 of the $1,600 cost. So, in your opinion, should I dispute the charge, try for purchase protection, or accept the fact that we are SOL.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Dispute, purchase protection, or SOL

@hondo522 wrote:

I bought a large item for my wife using my Paypal MC (not a paypal transaction). The item was delivered by truck not FedEx or UPS. When it was delivered, my mother-in-law inspected the box which had some dings, but nothing major. Opened the box and saw that the item's bubble wrap wasn't disturbed, so she signed for it. When we showed up a week later, my wife went to unwrap it and found it cracked. I immediately contacted the merchant who said that we were SOL because my mother-in-law had signed for it and that our only recourse was to repair it (which may or may not be possible).

I checked with the CC company, and the purchase protection is limited to $1,000 of the $1,600 cost. So, in your opinion, should I dispute the charge, try for purchase protection, or accept the fact that we are SOL.

File a claim against the carrier that delivered the home. All carriers must have damage insurance

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 3
hondo522

Re: Dispute, purchase protection, or SOL

Unfortunately, that's not possible either. Because it was signed for, the insurance doesn't apply. At least, that's what the trucking company says.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.