hondo522

Dispute, purchase protection, or SOL

I bought a large item for my wife using my Paypal MC (not a paypal transaction). The item was delivered by truck not FedEx or UPS. When it was delivered, my mother-in-law inspected the box which had some dings, but nothing major. Opened the box and saw that the item's bubble wrap wasn't disturbed, so she signed for it. When we showed up a week later, my wife went to unwrap it and found it cracked. I immediately contacted the merchant who said that we were SOL because my mother-in-law had signed for it and that our only recourse was to repair it (which may or may not be possible).

I checked with the CC company, and the purchase protection is limited to $1,000 of the $1,600 cost. So, in your opinion, should I dispute the charge, try for purchase protection, or accept the fact that we are SOL.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: Dispute, purchase protection, or SOL

hondo522 wrote:

I bought a large item for my wife using my Paypal MC (not a paypal transaction). The item was delivered by truck not FedEx or UPS. When it was delivered, my mother-in-law inspected the box which had some dings, but nothing major. Opened the box and saw that the item's bubble wrap wasn't disturbed, so she signed for it. When we showed up a week later, my wife went to unwrap it and found it cracked. I immediately contacted the merchant who said that we were SOL because my mother-in-law had signed for it and that our only recourse was to repair it (which may or may not be possible).

I checked with the CC company, and the purchase protection is limited to $1,000 of the $1,600 cost. So, in your opinion, should I dispute the charge, try for purchase protection, or accept the fact that we are SOL.

File a claim against the carrier that delivered the home. All carriers must have damage insurance

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

hondo522

Re: Dispute, purchase protection, or SOL

Unfortunately, that's not possible either. Because it was signed for, the insurance doesn't apply. At least, that's what the trucking company says.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+