tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Re: Disputed AMEX charge - Hilton Hotel stay

Total compensation:

20k points from the Front Desk

2 nights complimentary for future stay from Executive at that property

150 Hilton Hhonors dollars from Hhonors department

I'm not quite sure what those 20k points will get me, but in total, seems like the brand was fairly generous consdering my lousy 2 night stay in a filthy room.

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad you were compensated. For future use or for otheres reading know that Aex is the best of all card issuers with disputing a charge, they almost always side with the card holder if they can offer any proof at all. They really take care of their cardholders.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just about had it with AmEx...

With my business platinum card, I rented a car from Avis. I did this for two reasons: one, the discounted rate and two, that I would qualify for gold status at Avis and they would upgrade me for free.  While this perk sounds nice in theory, I have been less impressed with its actual implementation. 

For four days the total rental was to come to something around $200. With fees and tax it came to about $240. Avis pre-charged my card for the full amount, and I have a text alert that shows the card was used and for how much.  I reserved an "intermediate" car, but was upgraded to a "standard SUV".

On the fourth day, I went to return it and there was a pile up on the freeway.  I was an hour late getting it back to Avis.  I profusely apologized and figured it was only an hour, they could definitely overlook that someone that was part of their gold program.  Nope.  They went ahead and charged me not only $74 for the one hour (it had previously been $50 for an entire day), but then went back and changed my daily rate from the $50/day that was my reservation to $140/day for the SUV that I was given as part of my upgrade.  The grand total came to something in the $600 range, much more than I had planned on spending.

I figured this was an outrageous bait and switch. I could find nowhere on any document or paper that I was given that I would forfeit my AmEx benefit if I was late returning the car.  I reached out to AmEx platinum customer service and they suggested I contest the charge. I clearly had evidence that showed what I was quoted and what it was changed to and if nothing else it might make its way to someone over at Avis that could make this right.

Five months later, I get a letter back ffrom Amex saying that it has validated the charge, and is siding with Avis on the contested charges.  They never asked for my side of the story other than the 500 characters I was given to file a dispute, nor did they take my evidence (screen shots and pictures). And when I called customer service back to express my concern, I was met with less than stellar CSRs who just thought i was being obstinant. 

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I've just about had it with AmEx...

I rented a hotel once with a 4 day minimum stay. Booked online and got there and the place was not what the pictures would indicate. Left after two days and hotel refused to refund my money for last two days.  Disputed charge for last 2 days with Amex and they refunded my money.   

Message 14 of 15
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I am sorry you went through that. If I encounter a filthy room and it's not full, I address it with the hotel immediately. That way, they can smooth things over before you call management and/or your rewards program and Amex. I also wonder if HHonors can distinguish gold status by dollars spent or by having and Amex product?

I hope things get better. A filthy room and bad service is unacceptable when you spend money.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.