Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing Airline Ticket Charges

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing Airline Ticket Charges

Here's my situation....

Back in April I booked a flight internationally with 2 other people with Spirit Airlines using my Citi Mastercard. Since then, some things have come up which I prefer not to discuss and now I can no longer go on the trip. The problem is that the tickets are non-refundable so basically I get screwed if I don't go.

Now the question....

As far as disputing charges go, is there any way that I could call up Citi and tell them that I do not recognize the charges and have them removed? I never actually spoke with the Spirit Air representative - one of my friends who was in charge of organizing the trip took my CC and booked it for me. I never gave anyone authorization over the phone to use my card.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing Airline Ticket Charges

This is credit card fraud.

Message 2 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's my situation....

Back in April I booked a flight internationally with 2 other people with Spirit Airlines using my Citi Mastercard. Since then, some things have come up which I prefer not to discuss and now I can no longer go on the trip. The problem is that the tickets are non-refundable so basically I get screwed if I don't go.

Now the question....

As far as disputing charges go, is there any way that I could call up Citi and tell them that I do not recognize the charges and have them removed? I never actually spoke with the Spirit Air representative - one of my friends who was in charge of organizing the trip took my CC and booked it for me. I never gave anyone authorization over the phone to use my card.

Of course you could do that but it would be wrong. Period.

The world seldom is fair. You need to do the right thing and suffer this loss and get on with your life.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 3 of 7
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

... and you didn't know?

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 4 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's my situation....

Now the question....

To do this, you have to be prepared to accuse your friend of a crime.

There's another option, which I think would be techincally legal.  You might actually be able to buy trip insurance now that covers cancellation for any reason.  When I make big travel plans with my family, I always purchase trip insurance because I never know if my kids are going to get ill just before we leave.  I just looked at the company that I use, and their "cancel for any reason" upgrade states that you "Must purchase this upgrade within 21 days of the initial trip deposit."  That is, if you purchased the ticket less than 21 days ago, then you can still buy this option and take advantage of it.  At least that's the way I'm reading it - I didn't look at the fine print.  I do feel like it's gaming the system, but if the travel insurance company really wanted to prevent this practice, then they would have required people to purchase insurance almost immediately after the travel plans are booked and paid.  I think they must realize that people do purchase their insurance knowing full well that they will need to cancel.

It's not cheap, and I don't think it reimburses 100% of the cost (I think only 80%), but it's probably better than losing out on your entire payment.

Message 5 of 7
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Your best bet is to call the airline and find out how much it will cost you to do a change on this non-refundable ticket (change of dates/destination, etc.) and use that ticket for a flight elsewhere, at another time within a year.

You bought the ticket, plain and simple.   Salvage what value you can from it, 'cause it's yours.  Man up.

Message 6 of 7
voidman
Established Contributor

You should also check if they are willing to give travel voucher for the price you paid. Usually budget airlines don't refund anything coz they are on a tight cash flow but sometimes they will be ok with giving you a vouchers that you can use to book a ticket within a year with them. 

-void
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.