cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing a charge with Discover - any advice?

tag
Coldness
Contributor

Disputing a charge with Discover - any advice?

I haven't been on this forum for awhile, but I'm hoping someone can chime in on if it's worth my time to try and dispute this. Sorry for the long story - 

A few weeks ago, I put a new smartphone - a Galaxy Nexus direct from Google - on to my Discover card. It got here and had a defective screen - it had a horrible purple hue to it. I had to use it for the time being as my old phone had kicked the bucket, but I called Samsung's direct support within a couple days. They immediately agreed that it was unacceptable and cross shipped me a replacement phone.

When the replacement got here, it had the same type of defective screen. From searching online, this is common with this phone anymore. I gave up and decided to get used to it. It isn't so bad on 100% brightness. Fast forward a few more days, though, and now the WiFi chip on the replacement is dying. It won't connect to 5ghz wireless or 2.4ghz-N networks, and had very bad signal on others. Mind you, I work in IT and with smartphones all day every day - I know a hardware defect when I see one. From searching online again, this is another known potential hardware issue with this phone... I was lucky enough to get both major issues! I hadn't flashed any kernels or ROMs on to the phone - the wifi chip simply failed overnight. And it's getting worse.

Samsung, however, will no longer replace it or issue a return / refund. Since I had to wait for the first replacement, my 14 day window is now up. That's crap, for lack of better words. I just want a refund on the dumb thing so I can buy a different phone. Samsung's only solution is for me to send it in to a repair center... for up to four weeks. I have no other phone right now. That simply won't be happening. 

Since Samsung is unable to work with me, does anyone here think Discover may be willing to accept a dispute of this nature? I've never disputed a charge in my life before - I've been lucky enough to avoid fraud thus far. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Re: Disputing a charge with Discover - any advice?

Discover won't accept this dispute nor would any other card company.  Just go through the warranty channels.  Sidenote: this is why I continue to by from Apple in this category.  If I have a problem, I take it to the Apple store, fixed or replaced on the spot - no hassle.  Android users will never understand.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 2 of 10
ComputerWizMaster
New Contributor

Since you did purchase the product (not fraud) you aren't allowed to dispute the charge with any card company. Samsung is also honoring their warranty obligations so you can't argue along those lines either. What you're looking for is something along the lines of a purchase protection program (which is an insurance product).

I don't think Discover offers such a protection plan product for their cards, but somone can correct me if I am wrong.

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/?ICMPGN=TNV_MEMBEN_TXT

You can also call Discover and ask them directly as well.

I know my Amex offers protection for cases like this, but not my Discover card.

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 3 of 10
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I had a similiar experience just this month with PNC. I bought a computer that claimed to come with everything but it did not, the merchant would not accept it, so I contacted PNC. They advised me to send the item back, then ring them back when it was delivered and give them the tracking number. Turns out the merchant refused it and it was sent back to me. I informed PNC of this and they said they would take care of it. Fast forward a few days and it looks like they credited the account and the computer arrives back at the house. I do not want it but do not know what else to do.

You could just ring Discover and tell them what is wrong. I do not see why Samsung would not replace it since they always have a one year warranty. Every issuer is differen with this kind of thing but there is no harm in asking.

Message 4 of 10
ComputerWizMaster
New Contributor

Amex does offer protection in this case...

With Amex (and some Visa Signature and Mastercard World cards) you are offered a card benefit that covers product returns. I know for my Amex Platinum that I get a full refund from Amex (up to $300 per transaction and up to $1000 per year) if the store refuses to accept my return for any reason within 90 days of purchase.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/return-protection.html?intlink=USSmiley TonguelatinumBen...Smiley Frustrated

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 5 of 10
Coldness
Contributor

Thanks! For some reason I knew in the back of my head I should've put such a thing on my Amex, but it was already getting a high balance last month from other purchases, so I wanted to even it out a bit.... just my luck, one of the rare times Discover comes out of my pocket. 

I know there's an ability to dspute a charge for damaged goods or that do not arrive as described. I think this falls under that category, at least to some extent. 

I will call Samsung one more time when I get off work to see if they will do anything to work with me that doesn't include being phoneless for a month. I have to have a working phone to do my job. If they are still being useless, I'll see what Discover has to say. It sounds like I might just be out ~$400 and have to buy a new one on my own....

Message 6 of 10
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

All my electronics/computer/smartphone purchases go on AMEX.  Period.  I don't even care about cash back rewards on these items just because of cases like these.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 7 of 10
Coldness
Contributor

A quick chat with Discover makes it sound like they're willing to help me out on the grounds that the merchant failed to resolve the issue with the first return. I've held their card for quite awhile now. They were ready to set up a dispute now, but I'll see what Samsung has to say first. 

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/purchase-protection.html

They cover damage and theft, so this is definitely easier for them to do sicne they may actually recoup from the merchant, I suppose. 

Message 8 of 10
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

I got an email stating recently that Disover just introducted 2 new no cost benefits..

They were Purchase Protection & Extended Product Warranty..

I would definately call them just to check if it would fall under purchase protection..

I got the email on 8/25/12 so it's been fairly recent..

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 9 of 10
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

@bamagirl1 wrote:

I got an email stating recently that Disover just introducted 2 new no cost benefits..

They were Purchase Protection & Extended Product Warranty..

I would definately call them just to check if it would fall under purchase protection..

I got the email on 8/25/12 so it's been fairly recent..

Ya, they have that on my "It" card.

My Wallet:
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.