Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing a credit card... payment?

tag
A_Noob
Contributor

Disputing a credit card... payment?

I'm not sure how common this is, but I recently had to dispute a payment made to my CC with SCFCU. I logged into online banking the other day to see my balance showing as -$400. Someone must have given them the wrong account number or something because I certainly did not make that payment. I ended up having to dispute the payment after making several calls. They reversed it today but it's kind of weird to dispute a payment rather than a charge. Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

My Fico EQ: 749
My Fico TU: 754
My Fico EX: 753

Goal: 800
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Re: Disputing a credit card... payment?

talk of the devil, this just happened to me 4days ago but in my case for a lesser amount of $100 but I let it go by cos I think I know just who did it. Also, I don't wanna have a history of disputing transactions with my bank so $100 isn't worth the headache at all.

Message 2 of 7
A_Noob
Contributor

I don't see how disputing a payment could possibly be viewed in a negative way by the bank. That money wasn't meant for my account, but it was meant for someone's. I just want to get it corrected to save the hassle for everyone involved.

Message 3 of 7
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

You need to inform the bank ASAP. Someone else is expecting the payment and it wasn't credited to their account. Automatic systems will detect and prevent posting a deposit to two accounts since the books don't balance but a misdirected deposit is harder to detect. It will eventually be tracked down when the person making the deposit finds out the amount hasn't been credited but the sooner the better. Bankers appreciate it when you report it first because it gives them a chance to correct it before the original depositor finds out it hasn't been correctly transferred.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 4 of 7
A_Noob
Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

You need to inform the bank ASAP. Someone else is expecting the payment and it wasn't credited to their account. Automatic systems will detect and prevent posting a deposit to two accounts since the books don't balance but a misdirected deposit is harder to detect. It will eventually be tracked down when the person making the deposit finds out the amount hasn't been credited but the sooner the better. Bankers appreciate it when you report it first because it gives them a chance to correct it before the original depositor finds out it hasn't been correctly transferred.

I immediately called and they have now reversed the transaction, but they made me dispute it instead of them just trying to look it up and correct their error. Hopefully they don't try to hit the intended recipient for a late fee on his/her CC.

Message 5 of 7
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@A_Noob wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

I immediately called and they have now reversed the transaction, but they made me dispute it instead of them just trying to look it up and correct their error. Hopefully they don't try to hit the intended recipient for a late fee on his/her CC.

Whoever you called just wants dox from you pointing out the error.  It's CYA on their part but it in no way hurts you.  Quite the opposite.  Some people just assume anything that gets deposited in their account is theirs even when they know it shouldn't have been deposited. Banks like customers that do what you did.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 6 of 7
A_Noob
Contributor

That makes sense

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.