Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disvover Chrome vs Discover it..?

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Disvover Chrome vs Discover it..?

I don't see any point to having the Chrome in the first place. As other people have said, the IT card is way better.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 11 of 24
taxi818
Super Contributor

Yes it is better. But chime beats out competition with 2% everyday everywhere. They are going after cap 1 quicksilver with 1.5 percent. 

So if you don't want rotating categories. You can just get flat 2%   Get chrome. 

Message 12 of 24
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

Yes it is better. But chime beats out competition with 2% everyday everywhere. They are going after cap 1 quicksilver with 1.5 percent. 

So if you don't want rotating categories. You can just get flat 2%   Get chrome. 

It's only 2% on gas and restaurants. Everything else is 1%. It's similar to the Cash + rewards structure choose your own categories...ok maybe thats stretching it...lol

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 13 of 24
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@MidnightJester wrote:

How about both?? Eventually someone will try to get one for a extra Discover BT or some other offer.

Yes, you can apply for the Chrome as the second card; if you've had the regular it for one year.

Message 14 of 24
780hopeful

So I just got the Discover Chrome. I chose it because of my spending habits. The IT has revolving categories quarterly that gives you 5% cash back, while the Chrome gives you 2% cashback always on gas and restaurant purchases. So, I think I'd rather stick to a consistent 2% cashback on gas/ restaurants. All purchases are 1% cashback for both cards. Don't forget you can get 5%- 20% cashback when you purchase through shoprewards. It all depends on your purchasing habits. I personally limit my spending so a rotating 5% cashback will not benefit me greatly.

Message 15 of 24
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@780hopeful wrote:

So I just got the Discover Chrome. I chose it because of my spending habits. The IT has revolving categories quarterly that gives you 5% cash back, while the Chrome gives you 2% cashback always on gas and restaurant purchases. So, I think I'd rather stick to a consistent 2% cashback on gas/ restaurants. All purchases are 1% cashback for both cards. Don't forget you can get 5%- 20% cashback when you purchase through shoprewards. It all depends on your purchasing habits. I personally limit my spending so a rotating 5% cashback will not benefit me greatly.

I also chose the Chrome.  I am not a fan of rotating categories, for several reasons.

Message 16 of 24
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

@Simba501 wrote:

@780hopeful wrote:

I also chose the Chrome.  I am not a fan of rotating categories, for several reasons.

Just out of curiousity would it be possible to share some of your reasons?

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 17 of 24
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@TheClub wrote:

@Simba501 wrote:

@780hopeful wrote:

Just out of curiousity would it be possible to share some of your reasons?

- I'd prefer not to do anything to earn rewards (for cards that require you to choose); call me lazy.

- I don't want to "keep up" with what category is earning rewards.

- Not sure how all rotating categories work, but with the Discover, it appears fixed?  So, for example, April - June, you have to get 5% on [whatever].  What if I don't happen to spend a lot on that category during that time?  I don't want to exert effort in how/when I buy stuff.  For the same reason, I'm not a fan of doing things to maximize rewards (e.g., buying gift cards).

- I prefer something I can "take to the bank," so to speak.  If I have to do anything more than choosing which card out of my wallet to use, it's too much lol.

I have enough things to keep track of/think about/etc.  Rotating categories is one of those things that, on paper, nets you more than flat rates, but in practice, is not worth it, in my opinion.

Message 18 of 24
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

Thank for sharing. All understandable and valid points.

Timing your purchases can get a bit frustrating just to meet a spending quota to receive maximum benefit from a 5% catagory. Especially if you're just spending money because it's 5% back. Essentially you lose more than you gain w/ unecessary purchases.

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 19 of 24
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@TheClub wrote:

Thank for sharing. All understandable and valid points.

Timing your purchases can get a bit frustrating just to meet a spending quota to receive maximum benefit from a 5% catagory. Especially if you're just spending money because it's 5% back. Essentially you lose more than you gain w/ unecessary purchases.

And that is another good reason.  

I also love House of Cards, by the way Smiley Happy.  I just noticed your signature.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.