Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ditch CSP & get citi costco visa?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditch CSP & get citi costco visa?

Debating if boyfriend should ditch the CSP & switch to the citi costco visa next year after his free first year or not... I have the citi prestige  (for the 3x airline & hotels) and the costco one can cover the 4% on gas & plus 3% on dining & travel plus it includes costco membership saving the annual fee too & earn 2% at costco... 

What do you guys think? Good idea or nah

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Ditch CSP & get citi costco visa?

Depends on needs and future travel plans 

Factoring in the value of UR points 

Redemption's once a year and the loss of an FTF card

Me personally I value UR's higher than TYP 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 18
nrm
Frequent Contributor

Costco + Freedom is a happy marriage, especially now to the end of this year.
Message 3 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

In my opinion they are two completely different things. If you are redeem CSP points at face value (i.e., you're getting 2% for travel), then yes, the Costco is probably the better deal, assuming the Costco fee is justifiable.

But that said, many people with CSP/UR points are getting higher value than 2x so that would tip the scale. It really just depends. If you are just a casual or occasional traveler, 3% cash back may be preferable to dealing with point programs.

Message 4 of 18
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Debating if boyfriend should ditch the CSP & switch to the citi costco visa next year after his free first year or not... I have the citi prestige  (for the 3x airline & hotels) and the costco one can cover the 4% on gas & plus 3% on dining & travel plus it includes costco membership saving the annual fee too & earn 2% at costco... 

What do you guys think? Good idea or nah

Just looking at your post.....you do know that Costco membership is not included.....you have to pay at least $55 a year for your membership. If you are not a Costco member, you can not have an account....If your a member and you get a Costco CC, and you let your Costco membership lapse, they will close your credit account.

Message 5 of 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

In my eyes it really comes down to cash back vs UR points. Just one thing to remember for citi costco is you only get cashback once a year. You don't get cashback every statement like most other cashback cards. 

As others have posted if you have CSP+Freedom combo its pretty nice. I am probably going to pc my chase hyatt to an FU so next year i can get 1.5 UR at costco which isn't too shabby. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two completely different cards. The card is really a waste if you don't have a Costco membership.
Message 7 of 18
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

In my eyes it really comes down to cash back vs UR points. Just one thing to remember for citi costco is you only get cashback once a year. You don't get cashback every statement like most other cashback cards. 

As others have posted if you have CSP+Freedom combo its pretty nice. I am probably going to pc my chase hyatt to an FU so next year i can get 1.5 UR at costco which isn't too shabby. 

You can PC co brand cards to FU?

Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

You can PC co brand cards to FU?

That is something i will find out near the end of the year , i know they are different banks but i was able to do it  with Citi , so i am hoping i can do the same with Chase. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 18
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Ever rent a car?  CSP is primary coverage on insurance.  Insurance coverage on 5  day rental pays for the AF, CSP also have many other perks, which makes the card one of the best cards in the Credit industry. 

With citi, they either love you, hate you or simply tollerate you. if its the later you get a starting limit, it never changes unless it costs you a HP, which isn't worth it for me. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.