dalebb
Valued Contributor

Re: Ditch Cap One?

@Open123 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@dalebb wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

At this point, I think you should close your CapOne, assuming you have no balance.  I don't see any reason to pay an annual fee, unless it's a card with extra benefits.  I suppose, the 0% foreign transaction fee is really great, but you can apply for their no fee cards reap this same benefit.

I share and understand people's frustration with CapOne.  To me, they appear to be a company built on the very suprime market hoping to transition and compete for the prime market, but not sure how to make that transition smoothly.  Every company has a corporate culture.  I think when it comes to consumer credit, CapOne's has been to limit loss, assume their cardholders won't pay, high default rate, and potential foul play.  It's very difficult to shed that experience overnight and begin assuming your "newer" prime accounts aren't still fit into the model the company has used so successfully.

I'd say, give them some time.  Let's see in a few years if they can figure out how to smoothly transition from their subprime market into the prime without alienating too many customers along the way.

Any bets on their success, now that they've got ING and HSBC US in their portfolios?

fell out of my chair onto the floorSmiley Surprised

Hahaha...Ah, I'm the eternal optimist?

There have been stories of people SD'ing Cap cards and getting a large CLI yrs out, why not do that and randomly run a charge though it every now and then?? Hey you don't have to like them but they are a business just as much as any other. Let them know how you feel by putting their card on ice....

I agree with you here.  I've had to learn a long time ago never to take anything personally when it comes to my professional life, commerce, and the IRS.

he really means on ice,, like in your freezer next to the fishSmiley Surprised

Message 31 of 33
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

I agree with anyone who said get rid of CrapOne

I would have closed mine long ago if it had an annual fee. It's been in the safe since July. I might take it out today to buy a piece of penny candy at the gas station.

Then it will go back in the safe for another 6 months.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@dalebb wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@dalebb wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

At this point, I think you should close your CapOne, assuming you have no balance.  I don't see any reason to pay an annual fee, unless it's a card with extra benefits.  I suppose, the 0% foreign transaction fee is really great, but you can apply for their no fee cards reap this same benefit.

I share and understand people's frustration with CapOne.  To me, they appear to be a company built on the very suprime market hoping to transition and compete for the prime market, but not sure how to make that transition smoothly.  Every company has a corporate culture.  I think when it comes to consumer credit, CapOne's has been to limit loss, assume their cardholders won't pay, high default rate, and potential foul play.  It's very difficult to shed that experience overnight and begin assuming your "newer" prime accounts aren't still fit into the model the company has used so successfully.

I'd say, give them some time.  Let's see in a few years if they can figure out how to smoothly transition from their subprime market into the prime without alienating too many customers along the way.

Any bets on their success, now that they've got ING and HSBC US in their portfolios?

fell out of my chair onto the floorSmiley Surprised

Hahaha...Ah, I'm the eternal optimist?

There have been stories of people SD'ing Cap cards and getting a large CLI yrs out, why not do that and randomly run a charge though it every now and then?? Hey you don't have to like them but they are a business just as much as any other. Let them know how you feel by putting their card on ice....

I agree with you here.  I've had to learn a long time ago never to take anything personally when it comes to my professional life, commerce, and the IRS.

he really means on ice,, like in your freezer next to the fishSmiley Surprised

Old Navy is next, no luv you sleep with the fishes Smiley Surprised

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.