Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ditch Cap one for Citi DC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditch Cap one for Citi DC?

Has anybody had a Capitol one quick silver and ditched it for the double cash from citi? Pros and cons?

Also if I decided to do this how do I do a product change to the venture card from the quick silver and will I get the bonus? Is this done with no hard pull?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ditch Cap one for Citi DC?

Regarding product change, if one is granted there's no hard pull for it. I don't think you get bonuses though as it's technically the same account so a sign up bonus wouldn't apply.

You can check if anything is available on the site by going to the Accounts dropdown at the top, then selecting "Modify Your Features". That brings you to another screen with a few options, choose "Your Features" and see if anything comes up. If not then you can try talking to support, and if not that then emailing the EO. I didn't have any options listed, but I chatted with live support and they were able to move me up to the Quicksilver very easily in my case.

I'm not sure about pros and cons as I don't have both, although I do have the Quicksilver and the Double Cash is at the top of my want list. Once I get the Double Cash it will get far more of my usage, but I still want to keep the account with Cap1 and would use it for some things. I think Cap1 is more inclined to give higher limits than Citi, and you can also request soft pull CLIs which Citi doesn't seem to allow most of the time. It's a Visa and the DC is a MasterCard is that's any concern. Um. Quicksilver gives 20% back on Uber until April 2016? lol. Personally I think it'd be nice to have both anyway.

Message 2 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea just makes sense to make my Every day card 2% vs 1.5%. Cap one has been great though.

Decisions decisions
Message 3 of 43
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Has anybody had a Capitol one quick silver and ditched it for the double cash from citi? Pros and cons?

Also if I decided to do this how do I do a product change to the venture card from the quick silver and will I get the bonus? Is this done with no hard pull?

Thanks!

I don't see why you would want to change from QS to an AF venture card. You will not get the venture signup bonus on a product change. Only if you applied for the venture card could you do that. A product change for cap 1 does not require a HP. I like the venture card but you need to redeem on travel  to get the max benefit (granted trvavel is broadly defined). The Citi DC is the best card out of the lot you mentioned for cashback. Cap 1 may grow with you a bit easier than citi. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

The pro is that DC gives you 0.5% more cash back.  The con is that the DC cash retrieval is ever so slightly more difficult (the 1+1 scheme) and it has a minimum redemtion amount.  If you do international travel, the big con is that the DC has a FTF, whereas the QS does not.

I would not change to the Venture card.  The Venture has an AF and it's earnings are not that much better (if at all) than the DC.

Generally, PC are done without a HP.  I'm pretty sure that's how Cap1 does it (no HP).

Message 5 of 43
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Not sure why you want a PC'd Venture and a Double Cash. They earn the same thing. Venture is 2% with an AF. Venture's "miles" are not worth anything above and beyond 2% because there's no other way to redeem them as far as travel transfers.

If you're getting rid of the Quicksilver, just get the Double Cash. I see no reason to pay for a Venture with the same benefit as a DC. (And I hate  to say it but especially because you want to PC and will not get the Venture bonus)

To me, I like my Quicksilver better than a Double Cash. The rewards are a bit less annoying to redeem (any amount anytime), are posted instantly as opposed to statement cut, etc. There's also the fact that anecdotally, Citi doesn't give very high limits or low APRs on the Double Cash. May not matter much to you but across the board even those with "great credit" seem to get lower than anticipated limits on Double Cash. (Not everyone but there's definitely a trend)

Message 6 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the input! Looks like I'll stick with what I got Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 43
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Not sure why you want a PC'd Venture and a Double Cash. They earn the same thing. Venture is 2% with an AF. Venture's "miles" are not worth anything above and beyond 2% because there's no other way to redeem them as far as travel transfers.

If you're getting rid of the Quicksilver, just get the Double Cash. I see no reason to pay for a Venture with the same benefit as a DC. (And I hate  to say it but especially because you want to PC and will not get the Venture bonus)

To me, I like my Quicksilver better than a Double Cash. The rewards are a bit less annoying to redeem (any amount anytime), are posted instantly as opposed to statement cut, etc. There's also the fact that anecdotally, Citi doesn't give very high limits or low APRs on the Double Cash. May not matter much to you but across the board even those with "great credit" seem to get lower than anticipated limits on Double Cash. (Not everyone but there's definitely a trend)

Good points, but I would hope OP keeps the QS open even if they don't use it. Seems a waste to cancel a non-AF account with decent credit line that can be grown with cap 1. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 43
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Good points, but I would hope OP keeps the QS open even if they don't use it. Seems a waste to cancel a non-AF account with decent credit line that can be grown with cap 1. 

Right, I know some people have that line of thinking but assuming (and it's a big assumption) that OP obtained a Double Cash with a decent limit, there would no reason for them to ever really use their Quicksilver...so keeping it open would be kind of pointless (depending on perspective).

I'm glad they decided to stick with what they have though.

Message 9 of 43
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I don't see why anyone wouldn't get the DC over the QS if they are able to and considering the change. Yes, it is "just" .5% more, but doesn't that argument also apply to the QS being better than the many basic 1% cash-back cards? As for the 1+1 reward structure, you are -supposed- to be paying your credit card bills anyway, so I don't see why that would be a deterrent.

As for the Venture card, I completely agree with Kdm on that. Why pay for what is already complimentary on a card you are looking to apply for? Just my few cents.

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.