Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ditched Hooters and Merrick - Approved for Kemba Platinum Visa 15K

tag
timber
Regular Contributor

Ditched Hooters and Merrick - Approved for Kemba Platinum Visa 15K

Well, I too got the change in terms letter from Merrick Bank regarding both my 3K Merrick Visa and 5K Hooter's Mastercard. Increasing annual fee to $4 on the Visa and adding the $4 annual fee to the Hooter's MC and ratejacking to 21.5%. I was pretty loyal to Merrick, since they were the first to offer me credit after my BK7 back in 2003 and then approved me for the 5K Hooter's in 2007 with a decent rate 13.64 and no annual fee.

While I was debating what to do with these cards, a local credit union (Kemba) has been running TV ads soliciting business from credit card holders that have been ratejacked and abused by the big banks... offering a 7.99 Visa Platinum Rewards with no balance transfer and double rewards for BT by 11/30. Too difficult to resist, so applied online last evening and got nice message and email indicating that my app was being processed and a loan officer would contact me today to finalize. Approved for 15K... yahoo! Sorry they have a limited market, but if you're in OH, check out their offer at www.kemba.org. Very friendly and professional.

Guess what I did with my Hooter's MC and Merrick Visa? Bingo, they were officially closed this evening. Credit unions are the way to go these days. I also have NFCU 40K Visa and Alliant 10K Visa.

11/2009

TU - 710

EQ - 685

Ex - 700(?)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ditched Hooters and Merrick - Approved for Kemba Platinum Visa 15K

Kemba is 1 of the CU's i was plan on apping with in the future. Do they still just check TU?
Message 2 of 3
timber
Regular Contributor

Re: Ditched Hooters and Merrick - Approved for Kemba Platinum Visa 15K

They pulled EQ for me and also offerred a pre-approved auto loan from the same pull.

To correct my OP - they have no BT fees and a limited time offer of double rewards for all BT's made by 11/30. I've never seen any other bank or CU offer rewards at all for BT's, let alone doubling them. Then on top of that they deposit the rewards into a savings account with 10% interest. Kemba, where are the depressed financial markets?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.