Ditching the low limit cards

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Ditching the low limit cards

@B335is wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Why not ask Cap1 EO to combine Orbitz and MTV limits for a Quicksilver card?

cap 1 combine?? even EO I have not heard that

They did it for me on an old Platinum and Green rewards card.  Maybe they forgot how to do it now.

id love to do it with my sony once i get credit steps!

Message 11 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@B335is wrote:

They did it for me on an old Platinum and Green rewards card.  Maybe they forgot how to do it now.

This is out the door, it is no longer policy to combine any cards and that is at the EO level as well. They might change it back in the future who knows. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 19
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@pazuzu wrote:

Now that I have several accts with $6K+ limits, I am going to close the low hanging fruit:

Merrick Bank     $2650

Cap One Orbtiz  $2000

Cap One MTV    $500

These accts are unnecessary. I've hardly used them b/c of the low CLs. Doesn't take much spending to drive up the util % on them.

Also, I acquired too many store cards while I was reestablishing my creditworthiness post BK.

I did a purge in 2011, axing Amazon, Kohl's, Meijer, WalMart, HSN, and QVC.

And I closed Fingerhut this yr.

I still have JCPenney, Neiman Marcus, and Sears. Those are my only current store cards.

Cleaning up my credit clutter.........

If your Cap1 has an AF and your Util is less than 3% I would cancel it just before renewal otherwize, I would leave it alone.

Message 13 of 19
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@pazuzu wrote:

Now that I have several accts with $6K+ limits, I am going to close the low hanging fruit:

Merrick Bank     $2650

Cap One Orbtiz  $2000

Cap One MTV    $500

These accts are unnecessary. I've hardly used them b/c of the low CLs. Doesn't take much spending to drive up the util % on them.

Also, I acquired too many store cards while I was reestablishing my creditworthiness post BK.

I did a purge in 2011, axing Amazon, Kohl's, Meijer, WalMart, HSN, and QVC.

I still have JCPenney, Neiman Marcus, and Sears. Those are my only current store cards.

First up, nice looking Garden Diamond Smiley Wink

I'm too new yet to weed out and cut what you likely consider by now Anchor Cards that  served their purpose to your expectations and time to dust the shelves clean to reserve space for new introductions better suited to your goals.

Message 14 of 19
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@B335is wrote:

How did you end up with 3 Target Cards?

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 15 of 19
bk510
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I tried to move my Sony Visa limit over to Quick but CSR told me that is not possible.

I believe its because it's a Co-Branded Card.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 16 of 19
bk510
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@B335is wrote:

This is out the door, it is no longer policy to combine any cards and that is at the EO level as well. They might change it back in the future who knows. Smiley Happy

+1

Message 17 of 19
gh17
Frequent Contributor

I don't really understand why you'd get rid of the cards, unless they were the newest cards you had or they had annual fees.  Why not just keep them open and let them age and not use them?

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 18 of 19
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

@pazuzu wrote:

Merrick Bank     $2650

Cap One Orbtiz  $2000

Cap One MTV    $500

I did a purge in 2011, axing Amazon, Kohl's, Meijer, WalMart, HSN, and QVC. AND......PayPal Smart Connect.

I forgot about that one, I really went crazy with GEMB accts. for a while.

Now I only have their Dillard's AMEX.

No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.