cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do 0% Promotional offers exist for the Barclays Ring Card?

tag
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Do 0% Promotional offers exist for the Barclays Ring Card?

My cousin is looking for a balance transfer card for a potential long term balance transfer (it might take 2 years to pay down). The Ring card APR of 8% is ideal, as is the $0 BT fee, but there's no promotional 0% period that I can find. Wheras the Chase Slate has a 0% for 12 months offer, and then a 16.99% APR after that. So it would seem more useful to transfer to the Slate for the first year and then look for another 0% BT offer. 

Had anyone ever received a 0% Promotional offer for the Barclay Ring Card?

Suggestions are helpful for other options also. Thanks!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Do 0% Promotional offers exist for the Barclays Ring Card?

I don't think they do an intro APR on that card as the APR is so low anyways. The best BT card would probably be the slate though, since it is a 0% BT fee for the first 60 days. 

Message 2 of 13
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

My cousin is looking for a balance transfer card for a potential long term balance transfer (it might take 2 years to pay down). The Ring card APR of 8% is ideal, as is the $0 BT fee, but there's no promotional 0% period that I can find. Wheras the Chase Slate has a 0% for 12 months offer, and then a 16.99% APR after that. So it would seem more useful to transfer to the Slate for the first year and then look for another 0% BT offer. 

Had anyone ever received a 0% Promotional offer for the Barclay Ring Card?

Suggestions are helpful for other options also. Thanks!

I don't think the combination of long-term low APR, no BT fee and intro 0% is a likely one to find.

Transferring to slate isn't a terrible idea (but check the fee doesn't swallow up the savings), there is no guarantee of course that there will be a subsequent 0% in 12 months that he/she would be approved for, but there is no guarentee that Ring will stay at its current rate either

Message 3 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys. You're probably right that there is no perfect BT combination since the banks are going to need to make money somehow. He has an 800 score (according to him) and got an offer from a credit union for 18 months at 0% with 10.99% after that, so that looks like it must be the best choice. I guess the BT fee was 3% though, so we got to talking about if there was a better option out there.  Maybe there isn't...

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 4 of 13
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

The idea behind the Ring is to have a flat % for everything. They don't offer 0% bts and aren't likely to in the future, unless they change their policies. Most CCs charge a 3% bt fee, but if you compare that to paying the interest rate, it's usually a lot less. The only exception that I know of is PSECU, but you have to live in PA or have a relative there.

Your friend could do the 0% that he's offered and when that comes close to expiring, look for a new 0% bt offer to continue to pay down the balance at 0%. (Though, in actuality, he is paying 3% interest in the bt fee.)

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

The idea behind the Ring is to have a flat % for everything. They don't offer 0% bts and aren't likely to in the future, unless they change their policies. Most CCs charge a 3% bt fee, but if you compare that to paying the interest rate, it's usually a lot less. The only exception that I know of is PSECU, but you have to live in PA or have a relative there.

Your friend could do the 0% that he's offered and when that comes close to expiring, look for a new 0% bt offer to continue to pay down the balance at 0%. (Though, in actuality, he is paying 3% interest in the bt fee.)

The Ring does have a 0% BT fee - it's the 0% interest promotional period I am looking for on that card. 

Message 6 of 13
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

That's what I was saying. They have a flat % for everything. They don't offer 0% bts - by which I mean periods when the interest is deferred, and you pay 0% interest as long as it's PIF by the date they tell you in the offer.

because they don't offer 0% interest, they don't charge the typical 3% bt fee that you have with the 0% financing offers. So you're paying their flat %, but no 3% bt fee.

Hope that clarifies what I was saying. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Thanks! It does clarify. I missed the terminology on your previous post. 

Message 8 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The only way I could see you getting a 0% BT is if they were to send you a special offer BT/convenience check promo.

I've read more than a few stories of people having all types of barclay's cards  and getting these in the mail. 

Message 9 of 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Slate!

No fee and long term no interest.

Could app for Slate and Ring. Slate for now, then transfer to Ring later.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.