Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do AMEX Points Expire?

tag
Matt4776

Do AMEX Points Expire?

Hey Guys!

My plan is to get an Amex PRG this coming December, hold onto it until Jan 2015 (right when the intro annual fee expires) and then apply for the BCP for backdating. I have a ~730 credit score, but I'm only 20, so I only have around two years of credit history. I don't think I'd get approved for the BCP this coming year.

After I cancel the PRG (because I can't afford a $175 annual fee), I won't be getting another charge card until I start making money (and I want to go to med school, which means I won't get another one until residency at the earliest, which is in another 6-7 years or so).

Would the points stay on my file that long? Or do they expire if I don't currently have a charge card?

Thanks so much!

~Matt

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: Do AMEX Points Expire?

I think if you close the account that they don't hold it for you in some kind of points bank I would think you lose them.  However I believe if you open up the amex blue then you can transfer the points into that account. 

I am sure there are people on here who would  have better knowledge on the topic.

Message 2 of 7
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

I found the following from Amex, which indicates that you can keep your MR points so long as you have another Amex card active. From reading this, I would believe that if you have the BCE, you can cancel the PRG and still keep your points. But, I would contact Amex directly and inquire about this to be sure that my interpretation is correct.

http://search.americanexpress.com/app/answers/display/a_id/769

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 7
minipoly1
Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

I found the following from Amex, which indicates that you can keep your MR points so long as you have another Amex card active. From reading this, I would believe that if you have the BCE, you can cancel the PRG and still keep your points. But, I would contact Amex directly and inquire about this to be sure that my interpretation is correct.

http://search.americanexpress.com/app/answers/display/a_id/769

I PC'ed my Blue to BCE and rep told that I have 30 days to redeem my points. (Program changed from MR to Reward Dollars)

Amex BCE $17,600 | CSP $6,200 | PayPal Extras MC $3,000 | Discover $3,000 | BofA $3,000
Last app: Oct 1, 2013. No app until 2015 or new credit card with big bonus introduced.
Message 4 of 7
Open123
Super Contributor

Before you cancel your PRG, apply for the Blue (not Blue Cash or Blue Sky).  Though it's only MRE, your points will remain and continue to accrue for as long as you have the Blue.  When you're ready to redeem for travel, just apply for another full MR card, and all the points will be instantly upgraded.

Message 5 of 7
Matt4776

Thanks for the advice! Is there any chance I'd be able to apply and get approved for both the Blue and the BCP at the same time?
Message 6 of 7
Open123
Super Contributor

@Matt4776 wrote:
Thanks for the advice! Is there any chance I'd be able to apply and get approved for both the Blue and the BCP at the same time?

Not simultaneously, but you can most assuredly have both.  Just app about 5 days apart, or less if you'd rather call for the review.  For me, I'd just assume space it out rather than having to call during the pending review.

You can have up to 4 revolvers.  

Also, I've noticed Amex has in some cases charged a $10 fee to link a new charge card to your Blue's MR program.  I saw this on my Business Blue when I added several business gold cards for employees.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.