cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Banks Check Their Clients Credit Score?

tag
C6Guy
Established Member

Do Banks Check Their Clients Credit Score?

I'm a newer member so I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum. So if it's in the wrong place please move this to the appropriate thread.

So today I went to my main bank (one of the larger national ones) I sat with the branch manager to talk about a promotional email I received. During the conversation she asked to verify information. One of the things she asked was about employer, and verified it with me. She informed that we provide that information and they save it. Found that very weird as I opened my account when I was in college. Anyways we talked and I discussed their credit cards and if applying in the branch would be better than applying online. She informed that applying in person allows the bankers to add extra information to your app if it isn't auto approved. So from that conversation I had two questions?

Do banks soft pull your credit reports? And has anybody noticed that if applying in the branch helps ones chances more?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Do Banks Check Their Clients Credit Score?

Most banks so or hp when you open accounts with them.

many if they have credit products will sp clients on a regular basis to possibly offer them products.

what bank are you speaking of though?

Message 2 of 10
C6Guy
Established Member

Citi is my main bank. I don't have or have had any credit card accounts with them ever which blows because I really want their Thank You Premiere Card. So them having my info took me back a sec. I'm really curious if anyone has experience with a branch manager helping with their app. My Inq's will fall completely next year and that's when I plan to applying and hopefully getting it. But given the whole context of the conversation I also inquired if they keep tabs on their regular banking customers.
Message 3 of 10
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

SF bank SP's to open any type of accounts (checking//savings), we look at previous history with other banks as well. 

Example, we had one customer who wanted to open a checking account to auto pay his loan with (.15% discount) and we denied it because BoA had reported that he was using his personal account to pay business bills and had been notified several times to stop. 

Message 4 of 10
C6Guy
Established Member

Thanks for the response it kinda helped prove my point a bit. My scores aren't bad; high 600's just have a lot of inquiries from last year and lates/baddies from 5-6 years ago. I just want my foot in the door. Have you noticed if you bank takes in to account the relationship a customer has with the bank if they are borderline? Like having solid deposits, long time being a customers without any problems on the account.
Message 5 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Have you gone to citicards.com and run yourself through the pre-qual they have to see if you get an offer?

Message 6 of 10
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

@C6Guy wrote:
Thanks for the response it kinda helped prove my point a bit. My scores aren't bad; high 600's just have a lot of inquiries from last year and lates/baddies from 5-6 years ago. I just want my foot in the door. Have you noticed if you bank takes in to account the relationship a customer has with the bank if they are borderline? Like having solid deposits, long time being a customers without any problems on the account.

Assuming you were replying to me, no. If you don't have any negative remarks then we just open the account you want no problem. Everything else through the bank such as loans and CC's are all credit based and you have to match up with SF Bank guidlines. 

Message 7 of 10
C6Guy
Established Member

Yea I have and always get their "we couldn't find any offers but you may be interested in..." I'm not mad my scores were horrible a few years ago due to being uneducated about credit. So for me what's another year? Ideally I'd like to have it today. But once you go through this rebuilding process you find out you have a lot more patience then you thought! Lol

Once all my inquiries fall of though I'm going to have an epic app spree just 14 more months I tell myself! Lol

Message 8 of 10
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

@C6Guy wrote:
Yea I have and always get their "we couldn't find any offers but you may be interested in..." I'm not mad my scores were horrible a few years ago due to being uneducated about credit. So for me what's another year? Ideally I'd like to have it today. But once you go through this rebuilding process you find out you have a lot more patience then you thought! Lol

Once all my inquiries fall of though I'm going to have an epic app spree just 14 more months I tell myself! Lol

Don't forget pre-approvals don't really mean you'll be approved just as not being pre-approved does not mean you WONT be approved. I've never been pre-approved for a card that i've received. If you don't mind sharing, what are your scores currently at? AAoA? Inq's? Baddies?

Message 9 of 10
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

Don't forget pre-approvals don't really mean you'll be approved just as not being pre-approved does not mean you WONT be approved. I've never been pre-approved for a card that i've received. If you don't mind sharing, what are your scores currently at? AAoA? Inq's? Baddies?

+1 Amex site never pre-approved me...apped for BCE and got it with a 15k CL and 18% apr after intro period.

06/26/2014 - Gardening until 7/1/15
NFCU NavCheck 15k, cashRewards VS 14k, nRewards 14k
Amex BCE 15k, CapOne Quicksilver MC 3k, USAA Platinum MC 2k, Discover It 1k
Jared 5.1K, Zales 5k, Lowe's 15k, Home Depot 5k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.