cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do CC's care what type of card is BT'd from/to?

tag
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Do CC's care what type of card is BT'd from/to?

I have a new business card account, in addition the to the signup bonus 25k miles + free ticket annually, it offered a $500 statement credit for spending 5k in 60 days.

Can I do a BT from that account to my personal card (Discover) which is offering a 0%? I want to spend more on the card to meet the limit and don't mind BT's, I have no util currently I just don't want to put either account at risk if the card types are differentiated.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do CC's care what type of card is BT'd from/to?

Please don't move to the business credit forum, I am more concerend about my personal cards and there is little to no activity in there.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 2 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Which business card? Do the T&Cs discuss BTs to personal cards?

Message 3 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I suppose Discover may not necessarily bat an eye on this transaction type but you can always check to make sure or if the T&C doesn't provide much guidance, since you're technically not supposed to cross/mix business expenses or transactions onto personal cards (and viceversa).  On the surface, there is nothing overtly stated that prevents any such BT but Discover is the one that makes that determination... Some excerpts from the standard agreement are highlighted below:

Permitted Uses

You may use your Account for Purchases, Balance Transfers and Cash Advances. You may not use it for illegal transactions.

“Balance Transfer”

means a balance transferred from another creditor to your Account.

“Purchase”

means the use of your Account to purchase or lease goods or services at participating merchants.

"Credit Authorizations"

We may not authorize a transaction for security or other reasons. We will not be liable to you if we decline to authorize a transaction or if anyone refuses your Card, Check or Account number.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How strict Business Card issuers are remains a mystery but, my agreement says I am to use the account for business transactions and not for personal use. Who will know?
Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Generally no but the terms are the place to find your answer.  Creditors and even products aren't all identical in their terms.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.