cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do CCCs close cards with little to no activity?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do CCCs close cards with little to no activity?

I opened my first credit card over 16 years ago at Sears. After getting myself in severe credit card debt, I made it a priority to pay off all my cards including the Sears card about 6 years ago. I have not used the card since but kept it open because the credit history length helps my FICO score.

Suze Orman has been warning that in 2009 credit card companies may start closing accounts and reducing credit limits, should I be worried that Sears will close this account because I have not been actively using it? Should I charge something to keep it active or will that backfire as well and send a message to the other CCCs that I am charging new debt and could be in financial trouble? Any advice would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Re: Do CCCs close cards with little to no activity?

Store cards are generally not closed due to inactivity. Credit cards (Visa, MC, Discover, Amex, etc) can and DO get closed for inactivity, however. Make sure to buy something, even a soda or a pack of gum every 3-4 months to keep your card active.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I will charge something just to make sure this card stays active.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think you should use it if you want to keep it. Gently and PIF before the balance posts. That would make Sears happy and would keep others minding their own business. You also have the possibility of a temporary score drop by letting a balance post on a really dormant card. That would correct quickly but only you would know if it is important to you. Others may have better info, just my opinion.
Message 4 of 12
oracles
Valued Contributor

Is this a sears store card or credit card? If it is a store card, then use it once every 6 months, if it is a credit card as in Visa, Mastercard then i would use it every 3-4 months.  Buy something very small on it. A cup of coffee.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more thing I forgot to mention. One of the reasons I didn't use the card again was because they wanted me to change from a Sears store credit card to a Sears VISA credit card and I didn't want the hassle. At the time I was really working on increasing my FICO score and I thought this meant I would have to close the store card in order to open the new VISA card which I figured would affect my score.

I will try to use the store card and see what happens. I really dont want to lose 16 years of credit history.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I really dont want to lose 16 years of credit history.

Keep in mind, if you close the account; your history will remain for 10 more years. But, I wouldn't close it. Heck, you might need a screwdriver some day and they sell good ones.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep in mind, if you close the account; your history will remain for 10 more years. But, I wouldn't close it. Heck, you might need a screwdriver some day and they sell good ones.

I wasn't aware that the history remained for 10 more years. That is definitelty good to know. Also, good point about the screwdriver Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
oracles
Valued Contributor

I definitely would not close and it and immediately charge something on it soon. Just charge something every 6 months. You should be ok
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the advice guys. This was my first time posting here and everyone is so responsive. I appreciate it.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.