cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do CCs ever offer non-signup bonuses occasionally?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Do CCs ever offer non-signup bonuses occasionally?

@NRB525 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Ummm, OP you just started a separate thread 30 minutes before this one where you did indeed get another offer for a Shop Small bonus from AMEX.

To add:

BofA has merchants that appear on their BankAmericaRewards. Usually 5%, sometimes 10%, usually one purchase, sometimes purchases plural.

Discover has sent me some offers for additional spend bonus potential. One was for 10%. The Apple Pay promo last year was for 10% when you used Discover on Apple Pay.

Citi has sent me several 5% bonus offer promos on categories.

Yes, Citi sends offers on a whole variety of cards, offering extra points on various categories up to a max of $25 or 2,500 points (TY, AA)   People, IMO, tend to get over-excited by these since the cap is so small, but if you are going to spend there anyway, it's a small extra bonus.

Barclays on the Sallie Mae has done similar things for some people, 2% extra in non-core categories

And, slightly differently, Amex offered on extra 2% on the Blue Cash line (OBC, BCE, BCP) for purchases at WholeFoods for about three months.  

And then there's another thread where AMEX is "stealing" from the BCP cardholders by giving BCE cardholders ~3 months of some extra percentage on purchases Smiley Happy

Good point.   So now it is somewhat surprising that there weren't complaints then about stealing from BCP card holders who didn't shop at WF!

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Ummm, OP you just started a separate thread 30 minutes before this one where you did indeed get another offer for a Shop Small bonus from AMEX.

I was thinking more along the lines of targeted bonus offers.  The Shop Small bonus from Amex as far as I know was offered across the board.  I actually heard it on the radio today for the first time today as well.

Message 12 of 16
happypill
Valued Contributor

Pretty common from many lenders.

Have seen offers from Barclays, Cap One, several credit unions.  Comenity actually does it quite often, I've seen gift cards offered for additional spend from Sportsman's guide, Red Roof, Virgin America and others.

Message 13 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

To add:

BofA has merchants that appear on their BankAmericaRewards. Usually 5%, sometimes 10%, usually one purchase, sometimes purchases plural.

Discover has sent me some offers for additional spend bonus potential. One was for 10%. The Apple Pay promo last year was for 10% when you used Discover on Apple Pay.

Citi has sent me several 5% bonus offer promos on categories.

Yes, Citi sends offers on a whole variety of cards, offering extra points on various categories up to a max of $25 or 2,500 points (TY, AA)   People, IMO, tend to get over-excited by these since the cap is so small, but if you are going to spend there anyway, it's a small extra bonus.

Barclays on the Sallie Mae has done similar things for some people, 2% extra in non-core categories

And, slightly differently, Amex offered on extra 2% on the Blue Cash line (OBC, BCE, BCP) for purchases at WholeFoods for about three months.  

I would agree. Generally speaking these offers should be one of the last things you consider when evaluating cards. You stand to gain usually a max of $25 and most of the time the offers are for niche categories of spending (toy stores, etc) where it's unlikely you will max out the cap, meaning the value is less.

They are better than nothing, sure, but try not to get too wrapped up in them. Many companies do them as a way to encourage ongoing spend on the card by giving you a small amount of money and making it seem like something wonderful.

Message 14 of 16
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I have gotten several in the past from BC 

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 15 of 16
redpat
Senior Contributor

Amex offers for MR bonus for things such as grocery spend and hotel stays ranging from 1,500 - 7,500 points.

The last one I took was spend $200+ for a hilton stay and get 3,000 MR points.  That made me book my last business trip stay at hilton, why not.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.