cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do CCs give different app consideration to those who give disabled for employment status?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do CCs give different app consideration to those who give disabled for employment status?

On CC apps do cards give any different consideration to applicants who give “disabled” for “employment status” than they do to those who state “employed”? I’m sure it would be  against the law, but then again, if they’re asking for income information, disabled doesn’t indicate anything. Come to think of it, “disabled” doesn’t indicate someone (OK, me) couldn’t also be a student, self-employed, retired, or whatever else. Actually, how in the world do they get away with calling “disabled” an employment status?

One of the Discover card apps made me wonder about all this. Really, since they don’t ask for any other employment info on the app, it makes me think it’s just there for looks.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Established Contributor

Re: Do CCs give different app consideration to those who give disabled for employment status?

@Anonymous wrote:

On CC apps do cards give any different consideration to applicants who give “disabled” for “employment status” than they do to those who state “employed”?

Choosing the option "permanently disabled"

on the Discover application would suggest that the applicant is not able to ever gain employment. I would imagine that the only way Discover would issue a credit card under those circumstances is if the permanently disabled applicant had a guaranteed income from an annuity or perhaps a negligence lawsuit settlement. Large assets in deposit accounts might suffice also.

Perhaps Discover might actually prefer an applicant with a guaranteed monthly settlement (or annuity) income instead of a job that could be lost in the blink of an eye.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do CCs give different app consideration to those who give disabled for employment status?

Are you actually supposed to tell the truth on all those questions? I've been making stuff up for over 20 years.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are supposed to tell the truth, yes. 

It is fraud to provide innaccurate or misleading information in order to obtain credit.  The lender relies upon your representations to determine your ability to repay, CL's and overall risk.

In the event you defaulted, it the creditor was able to show that you fraudulently lied on your application, you could technically face criminal and civil retribution.

Therefore, the law requires honesty and ethics would suggest it also.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You are supposed to tell the truth, yes. 

It is fraud to provide innaccurate or misleading information in order to obtain credit.  The lender relies upon your representations to determine your ability to repay, CL's and overall risk.

In the event you defaulted, it the creditor was able to show that you fraudulently lied on your application, you could technically face criminal and civil retribution.

Therefore, the law requires honesty and ethics would suggest it also.

You mean you are supposed to pay your bills too?  

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a federal crime for lenders to discriminate against a disability.

However, it is  not an offense to determine that income of a disabled person is inadequate.

Like all credit, it will come down to your income and credit history.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-05-2009 06:05 PM
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

dazed wrote:

On CC apps do cards give any different consideration to applicants who give “disabled” for “employment status” than they do to those who state “employed”?

CreditAble wrote:

Choosing the option "permanently disabled"

on the Discover application would suggest that the applicant is not able to ever gain employment. I would imagine that the only way Discover would issue a credit card under those circumstances is if the permanently disabled applicant had a guaranteed income from an annuity or perhaps a negligence lawsuit settlement. Large assets in deposit accounts might suffice also.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, it's just that it really shouldn't suggest that. A person's type or degree of disability has nothing to do with their ability to be employed. Look at Stephen Hawking. Able? No. Producing Income? You betcha. There are many partially & fully disabled people who produce income. Perhaps you're thinking of someone who can't work at all & collects  SSDI (Social Security Disability Income)?

If Discover or any other CC actually equates being permanently disabled with being permanently unemployed or unemployable they'd be in violation of the ADA (American Disability Act, or is it Americans With Disabilities Act?) It's hard to imagine that their lawyers wouldn't have caught a major goof like that, but I still wonder what they meant. 

In any case, I'd sure love to have large assets in a deposit account Smiley Tongue !

Hamsa

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.