Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do CUs SP in months following approval?

tag
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

Do CUs SP in months following approval?

I have AU accounts on my report and want to get my own cards. My goal is to have 3 cards and 1 installment loan on my account so that I have enough credit history and credit mix to get a mortgage at a good rate ASAP. (I know it won't be immediate, but the sooner I start, the sooner I can get the mortgage.)

I'm looking at three CU cards: Golden 1, Consumers and Fort Knox. I like that they auto-approve (and therefore are likely to consider my AU accounts) and provide decent cash back and high limits.

I'm wondering if I apply for all three cards at once, then get a signature loan (possibly secured), might CUs that approved me without seeing my other inquiries do a followup SP and choke when they see four new lines of credit taken out at once? Does anyone have experience seeing a SP from a CU after approval, and if so, was it definitely not due to something like a high balance, cash advances, or opening a different account with the CU?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Re: Do CUs SP in months following approval?

I can't answer your question on SP's.  But I can tell you Consumers CU, IL does not auto approve, all manual.

Message 2 of 15
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

I have heard the State Department FCU does.

Message 3 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

I apped for Golden1 and was not approved for the CC. High balances are often my problem, so YMMV.

Are you in OR? Location seems to matter with G1, I'm in WA and seem to have no issues, though others in far flung states seem to.

A CSR told me I should wait at least 6 months to try for the CC again, so I'm using the free checking account to show some activity through the bank, a form of debit gardening.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 15
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

sillykitty1 wrote:

I can't answer your question on SP's.  But I can tell you Consumers CU, IL does not auto approve, all manual.

Thanks for the info, I'll look for another CU then, since every underwriter I've read comments from has said that manual reviews ignore AU accounts.

Message 5 of 15
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Are you in OR? Location seems to matter with G1, I'm in WA and seem to have no issues, though others in far flung states seem to.

Yes, I'm in Oregon. A check of whogavemecredit shows someone got it in Texas, though most applicants were Californian, which makes sense since that's where they're located.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know you mentioned those 3 but how about NASA? My last couple CCs were recons and my last card, NASA, was instant approved for $25k, highest limit approved for yet.

Message 7 of 15
taxi818
Super Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

I have heard the State Department FCU does.

You may have heard. But I've not gotten any sp's from them. Neither auto approvals. They always want documents. Which I provide. Belong to two. Gtefcu. And sdfcu. 

Edit. The sp approvals sdfcu does do are as followings. Secured credit card. And secured installment loan. Anything else require documents. So there can be no doubt. 

Message 8 of 15
core
Valued Contributor

Sillykitty already covered Consumers CU so I won't add my two cents on them.  I will tell you that Fort Knox doesn't auto approve either.  They want documents and lots of them.  It took me no less than 2 weeks of back-and-forth to get in with Fort Knox.  Also they restrict new members to a $2500 credit limit for the first year.  I don't think this is what you had in mind when you said you were looking for "high limits".  I think getting a mortage is easier than getting those cards.

If you want easy quick approvals you can cross out from your list Consumers, Fort Knox, Penfed, etc.  Strange selections you made there given your criteria, almost to the point of being comical.

Message 9 of 15
baller4life
Super Contributor

Nasa is your best bet for sp auto approval
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.