cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Chase and AMEX care how much you spend?

tag
Gatortrout
Regular Contributor

Do Chase and AMEX care how much you spend?

Do they care how much you pump through the cards every month?

I've just recently acquired the CSP and BCP. I am wanting to go for the 3X CLI with the AMEX when it is eligible. It currently is a $3.5k limit. I guess I'm unsure of if they are wanting to see you pump $2k+ a month through the card to consider you for the 3X CLI, or if spending $500-1,000 is plenty?

Other question is my CSP CL is $12K, I'm satisfied with my CL, but will they CLD if I'm only pumping $1-3k per month through it?

Thanks
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Do Chase and AMEX care how much you spend?

I know amex likes for you to spend, although I do not know how much this impacts your CLI request. I don't think the CSP is going to decrease your CL with your use. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 7
W0MACK
Valued Member

+1

I feel like you would be just fine with the amounts you suggested, 500-1000 with BCP and 1-3k with CSP. BCP is not really a "big purchase" designed card anyway.

Current Scores:
EX: 675 12/2014
EQ: 698 01/2015
TU: 714 07/2014
Last App: 05/27/2014
Goal : 750 Across the Board
Message 3 of 7
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I spend about 3k/month on my CSP, which Ive had since December. I have a few old charge-offs on my credit (fall off in January, yeah) and had to go through recon for approval. Since then, spending about 3k and paying off each month, I've had my limit raised to 13k and gotten instant approval for the United (12k) and Hyatt (13k) cards. All without any change in income or overall credit report. So while you can't draw conclusions from anecdotes, it appears to me that Chase has looked positively upon my spending.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 4 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

I spend about 3k/month on my CSP, which Ive had since December. I have a few old charge-offs on my credit (fall off in January, yeah) and had to go through recon for approval. Since then, spending about 3k and paying off each month, I've had my limit raised to 13k and gotten instant approval for the United (12k) and Hyatt (13k) cards. All without any change in income or overall credit report. So while you can't draw conclusions from anecdotes, it appears to me that Chase has looked positively upon my spending.

What was your starting limit?5k?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 7
Gatortrout
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies everyone! Sounds like I should be good then. There will be moths that I push 5-6k through the CSP, but for the next few months it will be more in the 1-3k range.
Message 6 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Both want you to spend even if you don't pay any interest and they don't care how much you spend just that you spend using their card for 3 reasons.

Your spending 

swipe fees

the possibility of interest payment (more profits)

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.