Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Dept. Store cards pre-qualify you?

tag
adourdomo
Valued Member

Do Dept. Store cards pre-qualify you?

i have two credit cards one with cap 1 and the other 1st premier

currently rebuilding my credit,  i wanna apply for a dept store card to have a good mix....  but i am scared i wont be approved becuz my scores are low EX 561

would prefer target or macy's 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Do Dept. Store cards pre-qualify you?

@adourdomo wrote:

currently rebuilding my credit,  i wanna apply for a dept store card to have a good mix....  but i am scared i wont be approved becuz my scores are low EX 561

How old are your baddies? How much is your Util?

IMO Macy's is not easy as it's underwritten by citi. I will let someone else chime in about target.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I bought something at Dressbarn, paid with my Amex card.   When the transaction came up, I was told that I was pre-approved for a store card.   She took some basic information, cancelled the Amex transaction, and put the purchase on my new store card.   

I have never had Target or Macy's do that, but they might.   Target always emphasized applying for credit, instant decision.   Same with Macy's.

Message 3 of 7
adourdomo
Valued Member

@vish1 wrote:

@adourdomo wrote:

How old are your baddies? How much is your Util?

IMO Macy's is not easy as it's underwritten by citi. I will let someone else chime in about target.

BADDIES AGE: BETWEEN 2003-2008

Util: is about 15-20% on both cards

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Registers at Target check for pre-approval if the amount of your purchase is atleast $40 ($50, to be safe :-) ). If you are preapproved, a pop-up will prompt the cashier to ask the customer if they want to apply :-)

Source: We once had contracts with Target..

Message 5 of 7
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Registers at Target check for pre-approval if the amount of your purchase is atleast $40 ($50, to be safe :-) ). If you are preapproved, a pop-up will prompt the cashier to ask the customer if they want to apply :-)

Source: We once had contracts with Target..

I have no doubts about the $40 minimum purchase statement but I assume they have other criteria also on which you can be pre approved even without purchasing for 40$. I say this coz I have been pre approved a few times and the cashier asked me if will like to open Target card account and my purchase was less than 10$.

As always YMMV

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 6 of 7
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

That's funny, but true.  I never paid attention to the exact dollar amount, but when the cashier goes into their script about applying, I whip out my card and we all get a good chuckle knowing I already have a Target account.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.