cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I Keep My Grace Period in the Following Example...?

tag
Jahmakan
Valued Member

Do I Keep My Grace Period in the Following Example...?

I have a CSP and my first month's statement closed with approximately $1,200 as my balance, with a bill due date of 4/11/16. I have since then put about another $1,400 or so on there, along with payments adding up to somewhere around $1,600, leaving a current balance of about $1,000.  If I let that $1,000 post as my new statement balance, will there be an type of residual interest or anything like that? Just need some clarification. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do I Keep My Grace Period in the Following Example...?

As long as you Pay in full the balance on the bill you are safe. You said you pay 1600 on a 1200 bill, that means you won't have to pay any interest for the billing cycle. CC have to apply any payments in excess of the minimum payment to the highest APR, which means your previous month charges going out of the grace period, then anything left to the first transaction after the closing date. Basically if you pay in full you are safe.
Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as you had no interest charges and PIF the last cycle and you make payments equal to or greater than the statement balance by the due date you will have a grace period.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as the payments you make after the statement cuts but before the due date on that statement, meet or exceed the balance on that statement, you will keep your grace period.

The statement said you owe $1,200, so as long as you pay $1,200 before the due date, you will keep your grace period, even if you buy more stuff and report a balance again. As long as the new balance comes from new purchases, you are fine.
Message 4 of 5
Jahmakan
Valued Member

That is how I understood it to work. Thank you guys very much for the replies.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.