Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I Qualify for Entry Level Amex

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do I Qualify for Entry Level Amex

Have you tried the Amex pre-qualifier?  Are your scores Fico?  Amex pulls EX about 98.9% of the time, so that's the report I would focus on.  If you feel like taking a leap, go for PRG and if approved app for Delta.  PRG underwriting is not as strict as their revolvers.  

I was approved for PRG with 656 Fico, 1 paid judgement and Delta Gold with a slightly better Fico - YMMV.  Another option, apply for PRG in December 2014, then go for Delta Gold January 2015 for maximum backdating and your new accounts will have good age by then.

Message 11 of 23
SorenX

@Wade64 wrote:

but who wants a toy limit?

Well rumor has it that Amex limits grow quickly if you have good history with them. I guess I'll find that out for myself soon enough. But the OP didn't say anything about having limit requirements. Sounds like he/she just wants to get their foot in the door.
Message 12 of 23
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

I was approved for my Amex Gold Charge card with a credit score in the 720 range and only six months history with a $500.00 limit on a secured card…

As far as income I make a little under 20k a year so take it from me that it is possible but it cost me a triple pull, it's been over two years since then so the inquiries have fallen off and my member since date is locked in and I've already boosted my score once from "backdating".

Good luck if you go for it.
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 13 of 23
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@SorenX wrote:

@Wade64 wrote:

No one is afraid of HP's we do it beacuse we want higher CL's and lower APR's. just my 2 cents

Yeah, but it's that old conundrum:  Can't get approved if you don't apply, but you don't apply because you are worried about the HP.  (Not using "you" in the personal sense here!)

I'm not saying that there aren't legitimate reasons to worry about an HP, but at the same time, I've seen too many timid people on here who are afraid to go for what they want because their score might drop 8 points. Fact of the matter is that if you don't go for it, you WON'T get it. That's a guarantee.

Who wants to take on an inquiry when they know the numbers aren't in their favor?  It's not the HP that most people worry about, it's the HP going to waste.  I don't see that as being timid, I see it as an exercise in reason.  If I had a 640 FICO I certainly wouldn't apply for an Amex just for the heck of it.  One inquiry might not be a big deal, but it doesn't take long for them to add up.  Personally, I want my CR's to be as spotless as possible should I decide to finance a new car or should a new CC offer come up that I want to take advantage of.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 14 of 23
SorenX

@Leadberry wrote:

Who wants to take on an inquiry when they know the numbers aren't in their favor?  It's not the HP that most people worry about, it's the HP going to waste.  I don't see that as being timid, I see it as an exercise in reason.  If I had a 640 FICO I certainly wouldn't apply for an Amex just for the heck of it.  One inquiry might not be a big deal, but it doesn't take long for them to add up.  Personally, I want my CR's to be as spotless as possible should I decide to finance a new car or should a new CC offer come up that I want to take advantage of.

Yes, but the OP has scores above 700, which is well above what's necessary to get approved for the card he/she wants. Granted, I recognize that scores alone are not everything when it comes to getting approved, and the OP didn't say anything about income, but from what we HAVE been told I see no reason to not just apply. If they get declined, wait awhile and try again.

In regard to your broader point, I never said you should apply for cards (or anything) that you have no chance of getting. I wasn't launching an assault on common sense.

But I know we've both seen time and again on here where someone will be all like "I really want [insert card name, CLI amount, etc here] but I don't want the HP!" And my point is just that if you really want it, you're going to have to get over your fear of taking a gamble because you don't want to see your score drop 8 points.

Message 15 of 23
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@SorenX wrote:

@Leadberry wrote:

Yes, but the OP has scores above 700, which is well above what's necessary to get approved for the card he/she wants. Granted, I recognize that scores alone are not everything when it comes to getting approved, and the OP didn't say anything about income, but from what we HAVE been told I see no reason to not just apply. If they get declined, wait awhile and try again.

In regard to your broader point, I never said you should apply for cards (or anything) that you have no chance of getting. I wasn't launching an assault on common sense.

But I know we've both seen time and again on here where someone will be all like "I really want [insert card name, CLI amount, etc here] but I don't want the HP!" And my point is just that if you really want it, you're going to have to get over your fear of taking a gamble because you don't want to see your score drop 8 points.

I see what you're saying and I agree.

I thought I had mentioned that my concern was with OP's revolving history, but after looking back on my post it looks like I didn't--OP has none.  All established TL's are AU accounts and all individual TL's are brand new.  I would think one would want to have 6 months or so of individual revolving history before applying for Amex.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 16 of 23
SorenX

@Leadberry wrote:

I would think one would want to have 6 months or so of individual revolving history before applying for Amex.

That no doubt would be better and would increase the OP's chances of approval.

Message 17 of 23
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

@SorenX wrote:

@Wade64 wrote:

No one is afraid of HP's we do it beacuse we want higher CL's and lower APR's. just my 2 cents

Yeah, but it's that old conundrum:  Can't get approved if you don't apply, but you don't apply because you are worried about the HP.  (Not using "you" in the personal sense here!)

I'm not saying that there aren't legitimate reasons to worry about an HP, but at the same time, I've seen too many timid people on here who are afraid to go for what they want because their score might drop 8 points. Fact of the matter is that if you don't go for it, you WON'T get it. That's a guarantee.

+10000 very will said

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 18 of 23
Mannymal
New Contributor

I got approved for a Delta Skymiles with credit worse than yours, which then I converted to a BCE with a short phone call. 

AMEX BCE: $3000, CHASE Freedom: $4000, Discover IT: $2,500, Barclay Apple: $1700, Barclay Arrival: $3,000, GE Amazon Store: $6000, Amazon CHASE Visa: $500, American Airlines Federal Credit Union: $6000, Macy's: $600. GARDENING 01/15/15

Starting Score: TU FICO: 630
Current Score: TU FICO: 734 EX FICO: 704
Goal Score: 760+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 23
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Mannymal wrote:

I got approved for a Delta Skymiles with credit worse than yours, which then I converted to a BCE with a short phone call. 

Amex doesn't only go by credit score along!!!! Also you have some nice limits on your other cards and they are not all new! Just my 2cents again

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.