Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have a case?

tag
Bsong
Regular Contributor

Do I have a case?

Hi guys...

Not planning on applying for anything at the moment but was concerned about future approvals.
I current have 15 inquiries across my reports 7 TU - 1 EQ - 7 EX. On my TU and EX report they are all from the same lender. Meaning 3 from BofA and 3 from Citi on each report and 1 each from capone. I see people getting denied with "too many inquiries w.in the last 6 mo or even a year". Will this be the case for me even though my pulls are only from 3 lenders and not 15 different lenders?

I hope my question is making sense.... Thanks all!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SpeeDj
Regular Contributor

Re: Do I have a case?

Inquiries do the most damage the first six months after a year they don't adversely affect and I believe it's after the two year mark they drop off entirely.

TU:552 | EQ:561 | EX:567 | Starting Score [LP from 08]
TU:693 | EQ:682 | EX:700 | Current Score [11.21.13]
[720 Overall] Goal Score - The grass is greener in the garden! (Amex made me fall out... since 12.13)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

@Bsong wrote:
Hi guys...

Not planning on applying for anything at the moment but was concerned about future approvals.
I current have 15 inquiries across my reports 7 TU - 1 EQ - 7 EX. On my TU and EX report they are all from the same lender. Meaning 3 from BofA and 3 from Citi on each report and 1 each from capone. I see people getting denied with "too many inquiries w.in the last 6 mo or even a year". Will this be the case for me even though my pulls are only from 3 lenders and not 15 different lenders?

Inquiries have a strong weight and might affect your approval odds if you have a thin credit file (few accounts and low AAofA) but as someone stated they don't affect your credit score after a year and have little effect after 6 months, They remain in your reports for up to 2 years thou but most credit companies only card for the inquiries in the last 12 months... When i got approved for my Citi Preferred Card i had 12  inquiries just in EXP (4 in the last six months) and was still approved with a $4,500 CL... My oldest accoumt is a Macys store that my mom opened in 2001 and asked her to make me an Joint holder on her account so basically i have 12 years of credit history.... I guess my credit tradelines and a decent AAofA had more weight while evaluating my application than the credit inquiries

Message 3 of 6
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@mnavas wrote:

@Bsong wrote:
Hi guys...

Inquiries have a strong weight and might affect your approval odds if you have a thin credit file (few accounts and low AAofA) but as someone stated they don't affect your credit score after a year and have little effect after 6 months, They remain in your reports for up to 2 years thou but most credit companies only card for the inquiries in the last 12 months... When i got approved for my Citi Preferred Card i had 12  inquiries just in EXP (4 in the last six months) and was still approved with a $4,500 CL... My oldest accoumt is a Macys store that my mom opened in 2001 and asked her to make me an Joint holder on her account so basically i have 12 years of credit history.... I guess my credit tradelines and a decent AAofA had more weight while evaluating my application than the credit inquiries

+1

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 6
Bsong
Regular Contributor

Thanks all! Your answers and input is always appreciated.
Message 5 of 6
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Also, keep in mind that most companies only pull one credit report (CapOne pulls all 3, however) so they're only making the determination on whether you have too many inquiries based on the # of inquiries on that one specific report. In other words, they wouldn't see 15 inquiries if you were to apply. Smiley Happy

Good luck!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.