kugel
Valued Contributor

Re: Do I have a chance greeting approved for discover

How much was the cl u got ?

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, the credit pulls database will have all the info you need on making the decision to apply or not. 

My opinion, though, any time one of these threads comes up is that if you have to ask the answer is NO, don't apply.  Asking means that you're sort of on the cusp, generally speaking, which means there's either a chance for denial or in the event of an approval it would likely be an extremely small limit.  If you're on the fence, I suggest waiting 6 months and reassessing where you stand with your profile, scores and compare that data to the approvals/denials in the credit pulls database.

Message 12 of 21
kugel
Valued Contributor

Update
I was approved today for a 10k discover card
Message 13 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wow, congrats!!, just goes to show Discover is and always will be unpredictableSmiley Wink. You are golden with that sl!Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kugel wrote:
Update
I was approved today for a 10k discover card

Congrats!! And welcome to the Discover family!! Have you posted in approvals yet? If not, you should! Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice! Congrats. Discover gets a bad rap (or is it wrap?) on credit forums at times but I really like my Discover Card and use it almost as my main card-Tho my US Bank Cash + wins that cuz the cash back is better. Smiley Happy
Again-congrats! Happy for you.
Message 16 of 21
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Discover is making a come back around here!  I have had mine now for just over a year and was able to grow the opening limit 8X by hitting the CLI button obsessively for the first year.  I've now switched to every other month and 10/1 they offered up a $6K increase.  There's some others on here this year that have been hitting $6K CLI's 2-3 times already this year which is a good sign of growth and Discover feeling more comfortable with the economy or so it seems.  

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats OP!  Definitely go take that HP and get your promise increase as well as PLOC. Get er done! 

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, the credit pulls database will have all the info you need on making the decision to apply or not. 

My opinion, though, any time one of these threads comes up is that if you have to ask the answer is NO, don't apply.  Asking means that you're sort of on the cusp, generally speaking, which means there's either a chance for denial or in the event of an approval it would likely be an extremely small limit.  If you're on the fence, I suggest waiting 6 months and reassessing where you stand with your profile, scores and compare that data to the approvals/denials in the credit pulls database.

Sometimes it just means that the OP is unsure of theirself or of the ins and outs of approvals.

Message 19 of 21
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Not a big believer in using the prequal as the "only" decision for Discover....

However... if the other factors look good (your score, utilization, did you burn them, etc) look good....

Again.. YMMV

From my experience, the offered apr spread will tighten the range on the online and mail prequalifies, sometimes to the point of getting an APR offer... 

If its a single number APR.. theres a VERY good chance youll be approved.... (again with the other caveats)

Also if your trying to get courted or discovers attention.... filling out the prequalify will get them to SP you....

Also signing up for Credit Scorecard will also get discovers attention... since they soft pull you to get a real FICO credit score, and it usually is on a different bureau than the prequalify offers...  (forget which is which right now.. not awake this am)

But.. enough.. you cold apped and scored...

Congratulations are in order.. esp when you have some trepidation on if youll be approved.. Discover can be a bit bipolar ....It seems you might have a thinner credit report, and not many/any baddies on it..   They really do like being the IT card in your wallet.. and it shows with their approvals..  Look forward to seeing you on the CLI Train....

=)

-J

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.