cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have a chance of getting my Cap1 card PC to something better?

tag
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Do I have a chance of getting my Cap1 card PC to something better?

The rep will ask your permission to look at your CR before doing a HP, if you don't want the HP,  you can always just tell them you're ok with leaving it the way it is for now. At least they're supposed to ask before pulling a CR.  IF you call them, just listen for any mention of  "looking at your report" like they're hinting for you're "ok" about it.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 11 of 20
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Viper786 wrote:

@AF_23 wrote:

Almost 5 years here and they refuse to offer a CLI to me for my Platinum , even though i have a few prime cards with larger limits. They are very likely to hard pull you across several bureaus even for a CLI request, so expect it certainly for a product change request. Good luck

Oh really? If they're going to do a hard pull then i'm just going to leave it alone. I have like 5 hard inqs within the last year. I dont want anymore on there.

Hold on a sec.  Don't necessarily believe that.  It's speculation.  There are a few accounts from members on these forums of calling in to Cap 1 and being told there is an offer on their account for a PC, usually to one of the Venture cards.  I recall nobody saying they got a HP out of it. 

How can it be speculation, when in fact i just saw my CR with them plastered on there. If its a special offer, it may be a special situation then

Message 12 of 20
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

The rep will ask your permission to look at your CR before doing a HP, if you don't want the HP,  you can always just tell them you're ok with leaving it the way it is for now. At least they're supposed to ask before pulling a CR.  IF you call them, just listen for any mention of  "looking at your report" like they're hinting for you're "ok" about it.

They didn't ask me, nor did i give them permission. This was actually done through live chat rather than phone or secured messages. Im not surprised by their garbage antics, it is Capital One afterall. In all honesty, the threadstarter should just ask and be proactive about it.

Message 13 of 20
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Viper786 wrote:

I have a Capital One Visa Platinum that I got in 2005 and it is my oldest credit card (my first credit card). The card has a low interest rate (something around 10%) and no annual fee. The inital limit on it was $500 and that's what it is today. I had one 30-day late payment on it in March of 2006 or 2007 for which I will be trying to GW. Besides that 30 day late, I have had flawless history. I also have a secured card with them that I opened in April 2011 with perfect history.

I don't know if this is relevent, but I got an Amex Zync, Chase Freedom, Amazon store card and a Macys card in late 2011.

I plan on keeping this card open forever, but I really don't like the low limit. I have tried CLI requests, but have been denied.

From what I've been reading, it's very rare to get a PC with Capital One. Anyone know if I have a chance of getting a PC? 

Cap One does not do PCs with their subprime cards, unless it's some anomaly.

When it comes to Cap One and inq, it's customer beware. I've read posts here from people who did NOT authorize HPs or were told there would be NO HP and got HPs anyway. I called once just to inquire (not ask for or apply for) just to ask when my step CLI would be, and the guy put through a CLI request -- even though I explicitly told him that I was NOT asking for a CLI; I was just wanting to know when to expect the step CLI. And this guy was American, so you can't blame the language barrier! I got lucky in that it was only a SP. After that, I am especially wary whenever I talk with them.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 14 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Viper786 wrote:

I have a Capital One Visa Platinum that I got in 2005 and it is my oldest credit card (my first credit card). The card has a low interest rate (something around 10%) and no annual fee. The inital limit on it was $500 and that's what it is today. I had one 30-day late payment on it in March of 2006 or 2007 for which I will be trying to GW. Besides that 30 day late, I have had flawless history. I also have a secured card with them that I opened in April 2011 with perfect history.

I don't know if this is relevent, but I got an Amex Zync, Chase Freedom, Amazon store card and a Macys card in late 2011.

I plan on keeping this card open forever, but I really don't like the low limit. I have tried CLI requests, but have been denied.

From what I've been reading, it's very rare to get a PC with Capital One. Anyone know if I have a chance of getting a PC? 

Slim to none. They're gonna feed you the "you need to apply for the ard if you want it" crap.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 20
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Viper786 wrote:

@AF_23 wrote:

Almost 5 years here and they refuse to offer a CLI to me for my Platinum , even though i have a few prime cards with larger limits. They are very likely to hard pull you across several bureaus even for a CLI request, so expect it certainly for a product change request. Good luck

Oh really? If they're going to do a hard pull then i'm just going to leave it alone. I have like 5 hard inqs within the last year. I dont want anymore on there.

Hold on a sec.  Don't necessarily believe that.  It's speculation.  There are a few accounts from members on these forums of calling in to Cap 1 and being told there is an offer on their account for a PC, usually to one of the Venture cards.  I recall nobody saying they got a HP out of it. 

I had my Cap One Platinum rebuilder card converted to a VentureOne Platinum card. I opened the card in 2007 with a $500 limit. Over the years, the limit was bumped up and it's now at $4,500. Although I've never been late, pay in full,  and my scores are high, they raised my apr from 14.9 to 22.9 and they refuse to decrease it. The card found a permenant space in my sock drawer.

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 16 of 20
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Since they are not likely to do a PC, is it a possibility to just open a new card, close the old card, and have them backdate the new card to when the old card was opened? This would definitly require a HP, but would resolve the "i don't want to lose my oldest account" problem.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 17 of 20
john398
Senior Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

Since they are not likely to do a PC, is it a possibility to just open a new card, close the old card, and have them backdate the new card to when the old card was opened? This would definitly require a HP, but would resolve the "i don't want to lose my oldest account" problem.

You could try the pre qual link and see if they  offer you a venture or something

Message 18 of 20
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

the monkey button that they have online? Nothing ever showed up for me after 3+ years with them.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 19 of 20
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

I had three (not sure how i ended up with three), credit cards with cap one that i had for almost a decade. My limits were 3500 on one, and 2500 each on the others. I called them about changing them to a venture or similar cards. My credit rightnow is excellant, and i had a car loan through them too. Draw back on the cards was an annual fee.

I called and talked to the front line csr, who could do nothing, got transferred in to a sulervisor, credit ana,yst, whatever his title was. They would not even consider a product change. I told them i wanted one card and would be happy to change one and close the other two or whatever. They refused, but they were polite and the guy i talked to seemed to know what he was talking about. Anyway, i closed all three of them.

About a week later i started getting emails from them asking me to come back offering their best cards etc, but they had refused to product change and i have no desire to apply for more cards. I got no kind of credit bureau pull at all in my talking with them.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.