cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have any chance at getting approved for Amex Green/Gold?

tag
corsascuderia

Do I have any chance at getting approved for Amex Green/Gold?

Just recently (late march of this year) I opened my first credit card, but was disapointed with the $600 credit limit that was given to me by BOA. I only got the card to be able to earn rewards on some of the bigger purchases I make, but many of these are upwards of $600, which doesn't help me out much. I've been looking into Amex Green/Gold, and similar rewards cards (Chase Sapphire, namely), and would like to apply for one as soon as is reasonably possible. If this doesn't pan out, I'd at least like to apply for a raise on my BOA card's credit limit. Here are some of my stats:

• Credit Score: 780—Credit Karma
  • Income: around 3k monthly from Sep-April, raises to 5k in May, June, July, and August. (I actually have a question about this: some CC companies allow you to report your income monthly rather than yearly. I figure if I report my income in July or August, I can use the $5,000k figure. Verification here is tricky, however; I still don't file taxes (my father files for me as a dependent), but I can provide pay stubs from work, which I've heard can suffice for verification purposes to most CC companies. So, what would you suggest? Reporting the 5k monthly income, or the projected 44k annual income? I'm not trying to be deceitful here, but at the same time I don't want to pay the million dollar fine and serve time in federal prison for lying on a CC app...)
  • Savings: around 15k in a BOA savings account, 2k in checking.
  • No late payments or debt
  • No current mortgages or other loans
  • No Derogatory marks 
  • Zero Hard pulls
  • One open account, Zero closed accounts: this is possibly the second-biggest negative that I see
  • Credit History: 3 months—biggest negative in my opinion

So, if you were me, what would you do? Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

Re: Do I have any chance at getting approved for Amex Green/Gold?

I would say go for the Charge Card BC they are typically easier to get versus amex revolver. If you can get the green you can pretty much get approved for them all. If you want the Gold I would say apply! With no hard pulls you really have nothing to loose! Just use the 44k annual that enough income. I would say instant approval if your credit score is in the upper 700's as you say! Chase Sapphire is probably too soon for you, BC that's their top card for their top prime members, Your credit profile seems way to thin for that card right now! 

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 2 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum!

I agree Chase Sapphire is too soon. Tbh, with a 3 mo AAOA, AMEX is probably too soon too. Although rare, if you are FR by Amex they will want to look at your taxes not pay stubs. Like I said, FRs are not common but they can occur. You are aware that Green/Gold are charge cards and the balance are due each month.

If you are looking for rewards- I'd would suggest a cc with no AF similar to Freedom ( after 3-4 more months of history) and Discover It. If you are a student, I'd add Citi Forward. Barclays is another option.

You need to get your actual CS - CK is a FAKO and is extremely unreliable.
Message 3 of 5
HiLine
Blogger

Just wanted to mention that you can pre-fund purchases that go over the BofA card limit by paying more than the outstanding balance. If you need to buy something that costs $1k, you can pump $500 to your card to bump the purchase limit to 1.1k, for example.

Also, if you use your BofA card frequently enough they will give you a very generous credit limit increase. I got a 6x CLI from them. You should be able to get 10x.

Message 4 of 5
corsascuderia

Thanks for the input, guys.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.