Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have chance with AMEX?

tag
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do I have chance with AMEX?

Yes. I think I have something on chex systems. I wonder if you can clean it up when it's paid like the CR?
2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 11 of 53
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
@Anonymous I believe its teletrack that they check.

i think im pretty good with that.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 12 of 53
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@toppers555 wrote:

I would have to lean towards a denial.  You have two collections which are pretty recent. Not to mention the two credit card chargeoff's. How does your chexsystem record look?

I am thinking the same. I havent really heard of anyone getting approved for Amex charge card with recent collections. Looks like Amex is sensitive about collections right?

Message 13 of 53
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

And i know if i did took the plunge they would definitely pull all of my 3 CR...even though i have no collections reporting on EQ and only 1 of the that i have on EX reporting in TU. Even if they pull all 3, does anybody know if they still go by EX score? Or could having better reports and scores on the other 2 increase my chances?

Message 14 of 53
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

I think amex goes by internal score meaning they use exp score they have their own criteries meaning 720 and a late going to be a no. If that makes sense.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 53
toppers555
Established Contributor

I believe your right it  telecheck , not chexsystems. 

@ OP I was approved for BCE with one unpaid collection on EX. collection true default date was back in 06 , but collector updated status in 2011 which makes fico thinks it is recent.  I was not 3x pulled, only EX.  I had appiled many times before and was denied.  It could have either been prepaid card I got from Amex, and was loading with a few hundred bucks every two weeks, or the fact I had just a few weeks prior open  a small busniess card with them that they have been targeting me for ages about.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 16 of 53
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Well thanks for the infor everyone. Not sure yet if im going to take a shot and gamble on Amex. If i do get denied, then i will know not to apply with them unilt another 6-12 months (or when the chargeoffs fall off in mid/late 2014). Wonder if i have a better chance with Chase? I know i can recon with them 1, 2 even 3 times. I have a feeling my chances with them are better than with Amex.

Message 17 of 53
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Either way you go, Chase or Amex is good. I know a lot of people want to get an amex. I'm started off with the green, not knowing it would matter to getting my foot in the door. Glad I did though.

Good luck! Hopefully all goes well with whatever you decide.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 18 of 53
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@zeusta20 wrote:

Either way you go, Chase or Amex is good. I know a lot of people want to get an amex. I'm started off with the green, not knowing it would matter to getting my foot in the door. Glad I did though.

Good luck! Hopefully all goes well with whatever you decide.

thanks zeusta! I am probably going to lean towards Chase cuz with them at least i got a chance to explain why i have the baddies that i have and hopefully i will get an understanding CSR/analyst.

Message 19 of 53
Open123
Super Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@toppers555 wrote:

I would have to lean towards a denial.  You have two collections which are pretty recent. Not to mention the two credit card chargeoff's. How does your chexsystem record look?

I am thinking the same. I havent really heard of anyone getting approved for Amex charge card with recent collections. Looks like Amex is sensitive about collections right?

Actually, in my experience, they're much "less" sensitive to collections and derogs than most other issuers, if they have other information on you.  

I've known a few who were approved for charge cards with recent COs and derogs.  Of course, they weren't large COs, but relatively small ones that really didn't matter, aside from dragging down a score.

With an existing relationship, I've seen many with the occassional derog without ever any AA from Amex.  Case in point, I have a colleague who was declined (for the sign up bonus apps) by Chase, Citi, and Barclays.  But, Amex approved him for the SPG, even with his troubled history, because of his 30 years of using and paying his charge card, albeit late frequently.

In the end, I think Amex makes "more" exceptions than other lenders.  Can you imagine Ctii making an exception for anyone?  

Message 20 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.