Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have too many credit cards?

tag
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

Do I have too many credit cards?

I am 19 and I have 9 Credit cards already read my siggy for the limits. I feel like because I am 19 and have 9 they will eventually lower my score for having too many. My total utilization is at 0.08% right now...

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: Do I have too many credit cards?

Do you use them? Do they fit your needs? I'm on mobile.....I can't see them but as long as you are responsible your door won't be lowered
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. Keep em all.
Message 3 of 27
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

No, you're fine. Just age them. I have significantly more and there are others who make our numbers together added look like a dwarf number. If you feel like you've expanded too much, feel that emotion and choose to not apply for more. Don't close things unless you find that they really aren't useful and you won't use them in the future, either. Fingerhut, though, I would think would be an easy cut. Smiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes id close fingercut.
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't see why you do?  As long as you're responsible with them, what the heck!  Bravo!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're fine as it sounds like you know more than 99.9% of people your age! Just keep using them wisely and perhaps close that Fingerhut. 

Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep your utilization low and your score will rise. I had more than you when I was your age. But you seek very responsible.
Message 8 of 27
Pway
Valued Contributor

I say keep them.  When I was 19 I was not responsible with credit at all and I have over 9 credit cards all maxed out.  From what I have learned I am not happy about it but it but I have corrected my mistakes.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 9 of 27
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

I like fingehut lol!  

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.