Valued Contributor

Do I need Costco Amex?

Do I need Costco Amex if I have Amex Blue?

IN VINO VERITAS.
Valued Contributor

Re: Do I need Costco Amex?

Who have both of those?   Any benefit of having the both cards?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's very tough with small income ~ The Rewards are big little helper to me.
Moderator Emeritus

You have the Amex Blue Cash, not the points-earning Blue, correct?

The Costco Amex pays 2% back on travel. It currently pays 3% at restaurants, but this is going to drop to 2% soon. However, if you get a Costco Amex right now, you'll get the 3% for 12 billing cycles. New cards issued after July 31 ( I think) will only get 2%.

No annual fee. So, there's minimal downside - except, of course, the effects that the new account would have on FICO. But it would get you closer to $500,000 in CL! :smileyvery-happy:
Valued Contributor

No, I have Blue Preferred.

To get 500000 in CL's would be nice, but I start closing useless accounts, so I gonna go down to 250000.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Established Contributor

wmarat wrote:

To get 500000 in CL's would be nice, but I start closing useless accounts, so I gonna go down to 250000.

Hi, wmarat.

You already have an AMEX card so,  you have  the only card that Costco accepts, unless of course you use a debit card instead.

I can appreciate the achievement you have reached by having such a high available credit, but I'm sure you realize more than others

that        "Credit  means nothing if you don't need it ."

veracious wrote:

wmarat wrote:

Hi, wmarat.

You already have an AMEX card so,  you have  the only card that Costco accepts, unless of course you use a debit card instead.

I can appreciate the achievement you have reached by having such a high available credit, but I'm sure you realize more than others

that        "Credit  means nothing if you don't need it ."

Thanks.

I do have AmEx Blue and AmEx's from BOA, USAA and Macy's. 2% on travel and 2-3% on restaurants are not attractive.

Credit indeed means nothing when you don't need it, but available credit means a lot when you need it.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor

Now that I have the Blue Cash Preferred, my Costco card has definitely lost its luster. I don't know if I'll keep it when my membership is due for renewal.

I know that many people don't like paying fees (understandably), but if you have kids --or big grocery bills for any reason --the BCP is a heckuva lot better deal than Costco.

6% cash back on groceries

3% cash back on gas (and you can use it for Costco gas)

3% cash back at department stores

1% elsewhere

If you spend $500 at supermarkets each month, that's $30 every month, so that takes care of the $50 fee pretty quickly.

I don't eat at restaurants that often. I'd rather cook up a storm at home. :smileyhappy:

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
New Contributor

Lel,

Where did you get your info about the Costco Amex dropping to 2 percent for restaurants after July?  I went to the Costco Amex site and it still states 3% with no disclaimers.

Moderator Emerita

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Now that I have the Blue Cash Preferred, my Costco card has definitely lost its luster. I don't know if I'll keep it when my membership is due for renewal.

I know that many people don't like paying fees (understandably), but if you have kids --or big grocery bills for any reason --the BCP is a heckuva lot better deal than Costco.

6% cash back on groceries

3% cash back on gas (and you can use it for Costco gas)

3% cash back at department stores

1% elsewhere

If you spend $500 at supermarkets each month, that's $30 every month, so that takes care of the $50 fee pretty quickly.

I don't eat at restaurants that often. I'd rather cook up a storm at home. :smileyhappy:

+1

I don't think my True Earnings card is going to see nearly as much action as it's been used to, save for at Costco, and I might relegate it to my "travel" card for the 2%. I'm still spending enough at Costco (thanks to my two in diapers, and a few large charitable purchases each year) to win the rewards game with the Executive membership. But, my Blue Cash Preferred has most definitely taken lead in my purse.

6% cashback on groceries even has DH smiling... and he doesn't usually care one iota about this stuff.

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Regular Contributor

Hauling,

So the BCP 3% works on Costco Gas? Is that the same for other wholesale gas pumps? (like Sam's Club, BJ's, etc)

If so that would be nice, as my company car I usually fill up at Sam's...

------------------------------------------------
7/11: EQ: 724, TU: 720, EX 745ish (5/11 pull)

What's in my wallet?

Amex Blue Cash Preferred and Capital One Venture.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.