Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a CC? If so, how do I choose?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need a CC? If so, how do I choose?

(I think I accidently posted this in the wrong forum before....)

This is my first post and I'm sure some of my questions have been addressed before..but there are alot of posts in these forums and it might take me a while to find what I'm looking for... ! So any help is appreciated. It'll be long...

I checked my credit scores recently(within the past 3 weeks), right now TU=727, EQ=718, and EX=733. The last time I checked my credit score with EQ it was 733..so that's a big drop..not sure why though. I've had one "hard" inquiry recently and that was from my bank, I was trying to increase my overdraft line of credit but was denied because of "insufficient length of revolving credit history" and "insufficient number of revolving credit references". As far as the other comments I got after I checked my credit scores...they were: There are not enough premium bankcard accounts on your credit report... and Not enough revolving debt experience.... and Your account balances are too high in comparison with your available credit.
Do this mean I need to get open more accounts or what?

I don't know about that last one... there are 2 revolving accounts on my report where I'm just listed as an authorized user, is there any way they could be taken off since they're not really mine?

I don't have a mortgage(but would like to get a house within the next year or 2), have 2 student loans(but on my report they comes up as 6 installment accounts), 2 retail store cards of my own, in addition to those 2 accounts where I'm just an authorized user. I'm sure I'll need to get a credit card at some point... would now be a good time, and if so, how do I go about choosing the right one?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Do I need a CC? If so, how do I choose?

OP are these FICO scores or are they from a reseller like Truecredit?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're from truecredit. Did I waste $17 getting them?
Message 3 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Short answer is yes. Always get your scores from FICO.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It figures...
Well I'll be sure to do that. I wonder how much they'll differ...
I suppose I should hold off on getting a credit card until i do...
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry for the multiple posts...but $50 for the 3 scores? looks like that Suze Orman kit is the only way to get all 3... seems like alot.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

google search "myfico discount code" and you should be able to take a decent amount off that price
Message 7 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

OP do yourself a favor. Sign up for the monthly TU Quarterly report and score here and use a discount code for 20% off. Should cost you 4 bucks to see your TU score and report. OK?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thanks. I'll look into that and the discount code.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You didn't waste $17 on TrueCredit, IMO.  Many of us (including me) subscribe to TC for the ability to pull one's reports often.  Just ignore the scores that come with those reports.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.