New Contributor
Mays

Do I need a Secured CC if I already have regular CC's?

The wife and I are reading up on rebuilding credit and one tip we've read is for people to obtain a Secured Credit Card and use that as a credit-establishing tool. If we already have low-balance credit cards, do we really need to venture down the Secured route? We have three credit cards, we pay the bills on time and at the end of the month, we're going to pay them down and keep our balances below 25%. Should we really need to do anymore than that when it comes to credit cards? Thanks!
Established Contributor
fender

Re: Do I need a Secured CC if I already have regular CC's?

We generally recommend secured CC route if you cant get anything but they high fee super sub prime cards.  Getting a secured card is also a great way to get in with a prime bank (BofA).  So the only reason you might consider one is if you have cards like credit one, orchard, and want to get in with a more prime lender.
"WTB Access Number"
Valued Contributor
oracles

fender wrote:
We generally recommend secured CC route if you cant get anything but they high fee super sub prime cards.  Getting a secured card is also a great way to get in with a prime bank (BofA).  So the only reason you might consider one is if you have cards like credit one, orchard, and want to get in with a more prime lender.

definitely agree

If you dont have a prime lender cc, b of a secured card is a great way to break in.

New Contributor
Mays

What are the advantages of getting a "prime card" and how does that help me? Thanks!!
Senior Contributor
score_building

Mays wrote:
What are the advantages of getting a "prime card" and how does that help me? Thanks!!

-better rates

-better customer service

-less fee driven overall.  (lower or) no fees. 

-(better) perks/ rewards

-may look more solid to other lenders reviewing your history

-higher initial CL and CLI growth potential

-more flexibility to product change

-may have recently received a huge chunk of bailout money to lend (or not, in the case of "zombie banks" )

FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+