Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need another CC to help?

tag
rymon

Do I need another CC to help?

Hey All,

As a long time lurker would love some advice here... 

I am currently averaging about 810 on several FICO scores I have ran. I only had one CC until about two years ago which was my citibank AA plat. I didnt really need any other CC as I had a few car loans and a home mortgage going at the same time. However, I moved to to a big city and sold my house and paid off my car, so I picked up two more cards to offset this. Now me and my S.O are looking to get a house together in about 11 months and she has lower credit due to a past uncontrollible BS (which I have been helping her work on).

In short my fico score always reports the two things hurting my score is diversity in loans (cant help that at the moment) and lack of lines of credit. Should I pick up another card? Or at this point does this become a dimenishing return? I want to ensure the best when getting a loan for my S.O even though she is VA eligble.

My current cards and limits are:

Citi AA Plat Visa: 25,000

Chase CSP Visa: 13,000

Chase Ink Plus Visa: 6,000

On average I spend about 2,500 on them and pay them off every month.

If I pick up another which one would be best? I fill like the ones above fill all my needs excently this CC would be solely to help push my FICO higher (if that is even possible). 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Do I need another CC to help?

I think you're all set on cards. I would say take out a small personal loan just to improve your credit mix. And just pay the loan back in full after a couple of months (I'm assuming you have to financial resources to do so).

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 12
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
I think you're all set on cards. I would say take out a small personal loan just to improve your credit mix. And just pay the loan back in full after a couple of months (I'm assuming you have to financial resources to do so).

I wouldn't take out a loan for the sake of it imo

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 3 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

I wouldn't take out a loan for the sake of it imo

Exactly - don't do it just because. Mix of credit is a pretty small piece of your score anyway, and unlikely to have any large impact. So it is not necessary to rush out and take a loan just for the scoring reason.

Especially with OP at 810....really they're getting the best terms anyway so no point in trying to get a couple more points

Message 4 of 12
elim
Senior Contributor

810 will give you the best possible terms.

congrats on doing very well in the credit world.

Message 5 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yea I just reread OPs post...terrible advice on my part lol. In my defense, it was 2 in the morning and my brain was half shut off...

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

810 means you're already in the highest bracket. No need to worry about anything else IMO.
Message 7 of 12
rymon

Thank you so much for the advice here!

I guess just browsing the forum so much I see people with a bigger list of cards and going after more so I wasnt sure how much it would help or if there was a specific card I should try to go after to add to my "arsenal" Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yea just forget everything I said previously lol. But yes you are pretty much all set and in the excellent credit category, so all you really have to do at this point is maintain by paying on time and keeping util low.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 12
rymon

Will do!

Also looking at it I guess getting a new card will ruin this "Gardening" term I looked up in your sig!

I am 31 and my AAoA is 7 years (across 16 accounts)... I am pretty happy about that. Getting a new CC will also likely knock it down as I think the hard inquiries are about to disapear from Chase... Now I wonder if I can increase CLI with soft hits as an alternative Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.