cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I poke the bear and request PC on card carrying balance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I poke the bear and request PC on card carrying balance?

I have about 73% utilization on this card I'm paying down. It's a BofA alumni association branded card. I get no rewards, and the current offering is a Cash Rewards Visa Signature. I was going to wait until I've paid it off to request the product change, but I'm considering just doing it now so I can use the rewards to help pay down the balance. Is there any risk to this? Would I be likely to get the product change?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Do I poke the bear and request PC on card carrying balance?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have about 73% utilization on this card I'm paying down. It's a BofA alumni association branded card. I get no rewards, and the current offering is a Cash Rewards Visa Signature. I was going to wait until I've paid it off to request the product change, but I'm considering just doing it now so I can use the rewards to help pay down the balance. Is there any risk to this? Would I be likely to get the product change?

Hard to say but I wouldn't poke the bear 

You're currently sitting with 17.8k total limits and over 50% UTL 

I wouldn't do anything to draw attention to that fact especially BofA who likes to HP for any and everything 

IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No, you don't want to ask for a product change here.  Rewards cards typically have a higher APR than non rewards cards.  Thus, any of your new spend at 1-2-3 percent will be offset by the 17%+ APR you'll PC to.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't PC, but you can try applying for a new card that either provides rewards and/or has a 0% intro APR. Chase Slate has a 0% intro rate and no BT fee, so you might be able to move some of the debt over, which would help with your interest expense, but no rewards. Most cards with rewards will have a 3% BT fee, so you wipe out any rewards gains with the transfer. If you're currently on a 0% intro rate, just app for a rewards card you want, periodically dump the rewards to your checking account, and use them to help pay off the BoA card faster. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive gotten a PC on boa cards before while carrying a balance.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ive gotten a PC on boa cards before while carrying a balance.

a 70%+ balance?

Message 6 of 12
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, you don't want to ask for a product change here.  Rewards cards typically have a higher APR than non rewards cards.  Thus, any of your new spend at 1-2-3 percent will be offset by the 17%+ APR you'll PC to.

It is quite possible to get rewards cards below 17% APR. My BoA Cash Rewards card is at 12.99% APR, and my BBR is at 11.99% APR. My Sallie Mae is 13.99%, my AMEX BCE is 14.99%, and my Double Cash is 15.99%. If (s)he can PC to the Cash Rewards and keep a low APR, it wouldn't be that bad. But I probably wouldn't poke the BoA bear at 70% UTIL.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. It was a little bit of wishful thinking on my part. My APR is 12.99% on this card, and I'm planning to wait until I get under 50% overall util to apply for BT cards. I don't want to waste a HP for a Slate and get a $500 or $1000 limit (which seems to be common).

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just did a PC from More to IT with Discover while carrying a 99% balance. They did it no questions asked. Interest rate will be exactly the same as it was prior to the PC. Of course that's about 22 percent
Message 9 of 12
chwebb1
Established Contributor

You could always take this approach if you really want the PC though: Smiley Very Happy

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.