cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I qualify for these cards with my credit profile?

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Do I qualify for these cards with my credit profile?

21 total inquiries:

8 on Equifax

8 on Experian

5 on TransUnion

(6 inquiries are from 2 triple pulls Chase did when I refinanced my mortgage, another 3 are from a secured Capital One I got last year before I knew anything about credit, and 2 more are from a recent CLI on my Freedom)

Open accounts:

• Mortgage (got it in 2005, but refinanced in 2012) - paying since 12/2012, but only started reporting in 2/2013
  • HELOC (2007) - high utilization ($22.8K out of $30.8K)
  • 2 Car loans (from 2011, refinanced both in 9/2012, around $11K each)
  • 3 credit cards in sig
  • Rooms-To-Go card: $6K
  • CareCredit: $3.7K
  • Jared: 10K

Utilization: 1%

AAoA: 4 years, 6 months

Never missed a single payment ever (in 13 years of having credit)

Income: $88.8K

FICOs:

764 (EX from MyFico)

774 (EQ ScoreWatch)

755 (TU from MyFico)

The only flaw on my credit is a "Payments managed by financial counseling program" on one of my old cards (which I just paid off).  Amazing how that little comment makes me look like a deadbeat, even more than people who have had multiple COs.

The cards I want to get are the following:

American Express TrueEarnings

Barclaycard Sallie Mae MC

Capital One Quicksilver

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Do you think I would qualify for these cards with at least a $5K limit on each one?  How could I increase my chances of getting them?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do I qualify for these cards with my credit profile?

Get the "Payments managed by financial counseling program" removed. And you'll be golden.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 2 of 15
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@Laugh wrote:
Get the "Payments managed by financial counseling program" removed. And you'll be golden.

Working on it since paying off that card.  I've done 2 disputes, but FIA either doesn't get it, or they're gonna do it automatically when they close the card (hopefully when the next statement cuts sometime in the next 2 weeks).

Will I still be golden even with all those inquiries?

Message 3 of 15
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

IMO you should get approved for all of them.  Amex and Chase you will probably have to recon.  Chase would be able to explain because a lot of the inquires are from them.  I like the CapOne with the 1.5%.  Why the Barclay unless you have a sallie mae loan the 5% doesn't help much.  What about the barclay arrival?  That is just me I am sure you have a plan for these particular cards.  CSP is 5k minimum.  Amex even if you don't get 5k you could just wait for the 61day 3xcli. 

Message 4 of 15
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

IMO you should get approved for all of them.  Amex and Chase you will probably have to recon.  Chase would be able to explain because a lot of the inquires are from them.  I like the CapOne with the 1.5%.  Why the Barclay unless you have a sallie mae loan the 5% doesn't help much.  What about the barclay arrival?  That is just me I am sure you have a plan for these particular cards.  CSP is 5k minimum.  Amex even if you don't get 5k you could just wait for the 61day 3xcli. 

Actually, you can get statement credits with the Sallie Mae.  As for the Arrival, you can only redeem your points on travel purchases, and that is basically useless to me since I don't travel.

Message 5 of 15
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

I didn't realize that with the Sallie Mae I thought it only went towards a sallie mae loan.  5% That great then.  You know the CSP is primarily a travel card.  Are you getting that one for the metal?  I apped for that one a couple months ago.  Denied.  My profile isn't as solid as yours though.  GL. 

Message 6 of 15
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Yup. As a previous poster has mentioned, you won't have to worry about the CSP and AMEX Costco.

I don't think you need the quicksilver. I would put my day to day spending on the chase freedom if you have a chase checking account. If you don't, then the CSP. UR points are worth at least 1 cent.

I would only use the sallie Mae when the freedom doesn't offer 5% cash back on gas, amazon, and restaurant.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 7 of 15
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Heh I just read that you don't travel. Well, you might change your mind after seeing all the points you'll be able to accumulate with the freedom, chase checking and CSP.
Message 8 of 15
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@Laugh wrote:
Yup. As a previous poster has mentioned, you won't have to worry about the CSP and AMEX Costco.

I don't think you need the quicksilver. I would put my day to day spending on the chase freedom if you have a chase checking account. If you don't, then the CSP. UR points are worth at least 1 cent.

I would only use the sallie Mae when the freedom doesn't offer 5% cash back on gas, amazon, and restaurant.

Chase Checking only gives you a 10% annual bonus.  At the same time, having one fewer card would simplify things a bit.

Message 9 of 15
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

You're right. I'm going to redeem my points for travel so I see 1 UR point as greater than 1 cent.

I also have the Sallie Mae card. Nowadays I only use the card for grocery and amazon.

I use the freedom for day to day spending, and the CSP for travel and restaurants.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.