cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I really need a Charge Card and loan from Bank to increase my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I really need a Charge Card and loan from Bank to increase my score?

I wonder ... do I really need a charge card and loan to increase my score?  

My FACO (from Chase Identity Protection) score factors tells me:

The total credit extended to you in your 0 retail account(s) is impacting your credit score.
These are revolving accounts issued by retail stores (e.g. clothing, electronics, and sporting goods stores that offer a charge card). They are typically accessed via a credit card. There is a credit limit, the balance can be carried over from month to month, and the minimum monthly payment is calculated on a percentage of the unpaid balance. Lenders like to see a good mix of account types and loans on a credit report with all accounts showing good payment history. They want to see that other lenders have extended you credit and that you have managed it with care. A low amount of credit extended in any one type of account may indicate an inability to establish credit. It may also make it difficult to gauge credit worthiness and your ability to manage debt. An additional account of this type or a higher limit from one of your existing accounts may help increase your score. However, taking on more debt than you can handle will almost always negatively impact your score to a greater degree than not having enough debt.
The total credit extended to you in your 0 bank installment loan(s) is impacting your credit score.
Installment loans are loans that have equal payments over a fixed period. The full loan amount is given to the borrower at the beginning of the term and the borrower then makes payments until the loan in repaid. Mortgages, auto loans, and furniture loans are examples of installments. Lenders like to see a good mix of account types and loans on a credit report with all accounts showing good payment history. They want to see that other lenders have extended you credit and that you have managed it with care. A low amount of credit extended in any one type of account may indicate an inability to establish credit. It may also make it difficult to gauge credit worthiness and your ability to manage debt. An additional account of this type or a higher limit from one of your existing accounts may help increase your score. However, taking on more debt than you can handle will almost always negatively impact your score to a greater degree than not having enough debt.

As of 08/31/10  ...
Your credit score  between 150 ~ 930    
  • Equifax          805    (Good 600 ~ 850)
  • Experian        841    (Good 600 ~ 850)
  • TransUnion     841    (Good 600 ~ 850)

my FACO target is  850 ~ up  (Very Good  850 ~ 930)

My open accts:
  CL         Util

8.6k     4.488 %     Chase Freedom VISA

8.6k     2.918 %     Citi Driver's Edge MC   

2.5k     2.160 %     Discover More

* Total  charge is $691.

* The util changes in between three ccs it depends on the 5% Cash Back Bonus schedules, and PIF by due dates.

9.0k     0.000 %     Chase Freedom World MC  (*reports highest of 5,232)

* Monthly Auto Bill Payments (about $200) only, PIF before closing date.

8.0k     0.000 %     Amex Blue

6.0k     0.000 %     Chase Credit Card (Wa-Mu Platinum)

5.0k     0.000 %     NFCU nRewards VISA

3.0k     0.000 %     NFCU cashRewards VISA

* Small ($1 ~ $5) monthly charge on these accts and PIF before closing dates.

Balance of 4k        Student Loan   

I have seven closed accts: Auto/Personal Loans, Sam's Club CC etc.
  *One of this was tricked by Sleep Train employee in 03/09'.  He wanted make a sale and to see how much I will be qualify, then told me that I can purchase up to 4k.   Later, I received a Sleep Train card issued by Citi with 4k CL.   Smiley Surprised  and    Smiley Mad      I did not purchase any, and Citi closed this acct in 04/09'.

I will need an Auto Loan one day for replacement.  (98' Toyota Corolla is still running good, for now)

Inquiries: all of these will be disappear by 05/2011.
EQ   04/30/09
EX   02/05/09, 03/11/09 

Thank you everyone!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Re: Do I really need a Charge Card and loan from Bank to increase my score?

@Anonymous wrote:

The total credit extended to you in your 0 retail account(s) is impacting your credit score.
These are revolving accounts issued by retail stores (e.g. clothing, electronics, and sporting goods stores that offer a charge card). They are typically accessed via a credit card. There is a credit limit, the balance can be carried over from month to month, and the minimum monthly payment is calculated on a percentage of the unpaid balance. Lenders like to see a good mix of account types and loans on a credit report with all accounts showing good payment history. They want to see that other lenders have extended you credit and that you have managed it with care. A low amount of credit extended in any one type of account may indicate an inability to establish credit. It may also make it difficult to gauge credit worthiness and your ability to manage debt. An additional account of this type or a higher limit from one of your existing accounts may help increase your score. However, taking on more debt than you can handle will almost always negatively impact your score to a greater degree than not having enough debt.
The total credit extended to you in your 0 bank installment loan(s) is impacting your credit score.
Installment loans are loans that have equal payments over a fixed period. The full loan amount is given to the borrower at the beginning of the term and the borrower then makes payments until the loan in repaid. Mortgages, auto loans, and furniture loans are examples of installments. Lenders like to see a good mix of account types and loans on a credit report with all accounts showing good payment history. They want to see that other lenders have extended you credit and that you have managed it with care. A low amount of credit extended in any one type of account may indicate an inability to establish credit. It may also make it difficult to gauge credit worthiness and your ability to manage debt. An additional account of this type or a higher limit from one of your existing accounts may help increase your score. However, taking on more debt than you can handle will almost always negatively impact your score to a greater degree than not having enough debt.

I don't think there are any problems with your scores and the "suggestions" that you put on this post are merely things you could do that MIGHT help your score.  I'm pretty sure the addition of an auto loan though is going to drop your score a bit in the beginning.  I really wouldn't give this much thought and keep up the good work.  Letting your accounts age ultimately is what will you get better scores.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 2 of 3
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Do I really need a Charge Card and loan from Bank to increase my score?

jefftca925 wrote:   I don't think there are any problems with your scores and the "suggestions" that you put on this post are merely things you could do that MIGHT help your score.  I'm pretty sure the addition of an auto loan though is going to drop your score a bit in the beginning.  I really wouldn't give this much thought and keep up the good work.  Letting your accounts age ultimately is what will you get better scores.

+1 to that. 

Keep the on-time payments coming, bunnyrabbit... the rest should take care of itself in time.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.