Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I really need a store card to mix?

tag
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Do I really need a store card to mix?

Hi guys, I read a lot of posts about the store card. Is it really necessary for my situation? I am new to credit card here, you can see the cards I have in my sig. I just wonder if I should get a store card to help the score, since my AAOA is less than 1 month and my file is really thin, have 3 HP on EX. 4 TL now. 

I am thinking about get a VS angel card(I love to purchase those stuff for my GF) or Amazon store card. Coud you please give me some advice? Do I really need a store card? 

Thanks, any advice or post will be appreciated! 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do I really need a store card to mix?

You have a good mix of cards right now and AMEX Green is a Charge card. Store card figures into FICO like a regular credit card does though it reports as a charge card it is in fact a revolver. If you want one because you are going to use it I don't see a prob with that.

Message 2 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

At this point a store card might help, although the mix part of the score is fairly small but remember that it will decrease the AAoA as well, and get an inq.   I might be tempted to get it now if possible, to start the aging process as soon as possible.   But get one that would be useful to you in some way.

Message 3 of 23
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

So with AMEX green, I got the mix just like regular cc and a store card? Since the store card will be seen as a charge card when considering FICO mix? 

Message 4 of 23
hot4u
Established Contributor

I wouldn't mess with it if not needed. Store cards are  Tier 1's.

In future do some searching on Tier 3's Like Loans AKA Installment loans car loans secured loans for Credit mixtures.Personally I don't go with the flow here. You have good mixture of CC. I would let your cards Age....

Congrats on your success..

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 5 of 23
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Amazon store card would be useful since I can use the 0 APR for camera lens, another reason about thinking about VS angel is that I hope I can get it with shopping cart trick so I can save a HP(But with my thin file, the pop up windows seems impossible to me). 

Message 6 of 23
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your advice, but will installment loans also have negetive effect? I see FACO experian.com report told me that with installment loans my potential score would drop. But I also see folks at forum do the 1000 dollars installment loan app just for better tier mix and help the scores. I am totally confused, I should not trust the FACO, right?

Message 7 of 23
hot4u
Established Contributor

Give it time... Your on track.. and have good cards... Let them Age..

I understand the feeling... ok what next.... Been there.. This is good time to search and read..

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 8 of 23
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@DavidZeng wrote:

Hi guys, I read a lot of posts about the store card. Is it really necessary for my situation? I am new to credit card here, you can see the cards I have in my sig. I just wonder if I should get a store card to help the score, since my AAOA is less than 1 month and my file is really thin, have 3 HP on EX. 4 TL now. 

I am thinking about get a VS angel card(I love to purchase those stuff for my GF) or Amazon store card. Coud you please give me some advice? Do I really need a store card? 

Thanks, any advice or post will be appreciated! 

If you wanna be anal about your credit mix, you could get a gas credit card count as a "store" card. It'll be more useful unless you enjoy paying a lot at department stores. 

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 9 of 23
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Actually the only store card I would use is Amazon or VS, I buy gas from Sam's. Thank you for your advice!

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.