cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I still need applied bank or which of theese cards i will be fine having.

tag
swins24
New Contributor

Do I still need applied bank or which of theese cards i will be fine having.

Last June I choose Applied bank to be my rebuilder card when my scores were in the low 400. Now my scores are in the low 622 TU 612 EQ fico's and I have open many more cards such as public savings secured 10/09, creditone 01/10, orchard 01/10, hooters 02/10, Macy's 04/10,  bloomingdale's 04/10 and capital one 04/10 capital one and hooters are my highest cl with hooters not haven and a/f. I don't need Applied bank any more and can get my 400 dollar deposit back if I close or I could pay another A/f of 79 dollars in June. But since this will be my first card open for a year with on time payments I'm wondering if this will hurt my score. Right now my util is 80% because of a Disney trip I took last month, but I just pif all my cards a few days ago before the statement's have cut. Another card I probably won't use is bloomingdale's and since there not reporting a c/l I have no use for them. I'm also hoping since my util will be way below 10% my score will maybe hit mid 600 those scores above  were with the util at 80%. Sorry if this is cunfusing to read i was in a rush typing thanx for any input.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Do I still need applied bank or which of theese cards i will be fine having.

Applied bank AF of $79 is not worth it.   I would cancel it unless they aggreed to waive the fee (or most of it).  I'd keep the rest.

Message 2 of 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Do I still need applied bank or which of theese cards i will be fine having.

I'd snuff out CreditOne (unless they drop it (the fee) like it's hot) and Applied and never look back.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 6
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Hi swins24,

If you can keep low utilization, there is no harm in closing a credit card. It does you harm only if it causes your utilization percentage to increase.

The positive history stays with you for approx. ten years, and it's not much older than your other cards anyway. You're not losing anything in age.

I would not keep a card with an annual fee unless the financial benefits (rewards) surpass the annual fee. I understand that there is a need when you are rebuilding or just starting out. It seems your need has passed.

Message 4 of 6
swins24
New Contributor

Re: Do I still need applied bank or which of these cards I will be fine having.

@LynetteM wrote:

Hi swins24,

If you can keep low utilization, there is no harm in closing a credit card. It does you harm only if it causes your utilization percentage to increase.

The positive history stays with you for approx. ten years, and it's not much older than your other cards anyway. You're not losing anything in age.

I would not keep a card with an annual fee unless the financial benefits (rewards) surpass the annual fee. I understand that there is a need when you are rebuilding or just starting out. It seems your need has passed.

Thank you for the feed back. I have decided to drop them since it want hurt . I always try to keep my balances low and I was thinking about using the deposit I get back from applied and  adding it to the public savings secured card because there is no a/f and they report to all three CB applied don't.

Message 5 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Do I still need applied bank or which of these cards I will be fine having.

Good plan

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.