cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do MyFico High Rollers Ever Laugh at Us Peasants?

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Do MyFico High Rollers Ever Laugh at Us Peasants?

@djrez4 wrote:

I don't think of myself as a high roller, even with multiple five-figure limits.  There's still a nagging derogatory mark on my reports that I can't get rid of that keeps me right around 700.  I'm interested to see what happens when that drops in July/August, 2014.

Even so, my scores were in the low 500s at their nadir and I know how that feels.  If/when I join the 800 club, I'll be around to pass knowledge on to those who need it.

I know how that feels.  My lates will all start falling off between June 2015 and January 2016.  I've given up on GW and decided to wait it out.  I can't wait to have clean reports again.   

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 82
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@djrez4 wrote:

I don't think of myself as a high roller, even with multiple five-figure limits.  There's still a nagging derogatory mark on my reports that I can't get rid of that keeps me right around 700.  I'm interested to see what happens when that drops in July/August, 2014.

Even so, my scores were in the low 500s at their nadir and I know how that feels.  If/when I join the 800 club, I'll be around to pass knowledge on to those who need it.

I know how that feels.  My lates will all start falling off between June 2015 and January 2016.  I've given up on GW and decided to wait it out.  I can't wait to have clean reports again.   

This is right where I am.  All but one baddie is off.  I am trying now to get the last to go away (looking good after talking to Eq guy this morning).  tax refund on the way to help pay off everything and my scores are currently hovering right around 700 (even with util at almost 65% till things paid report this month) and I have very low (below 5 total) inquiries across all the bureaus total. 

I can't wait to see how my FICO reacts to the upcoming low util, no baddies at all and the fact that I am an AU on an amex, disc and cap1 while also having my own Cap One cash rewards card as well.

All score simulators from myFICO have me jumping to above 750 with payoffs and the baddie being gone.  I am hyped to say the least. Smiley Happy

I would have made HUGE mistakes if not for the advice of some of the high rollers here as well as some of the other soon to be high rollers.  This place is like a team sport with everyone pretty much helping everyone else. I for one am extremely thankful for that,  Smiley Happy

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 42 of 82
drkaje
Senior Contributor

As if there's a functional difference between 830 and 803 FICO scores.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 43 of 82
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

You have to remember that many of us supposed "high rollers" began making credit mistakes when we were younger and got into lots of trouble.  Right now I carry an Amex Platinum, a BofA Cash Rewards ($20K), a Chase Freedom ($25K) and a Penfed PRV ($28K).  But twelve years ago, I got into credit trouble, got into collections on three cards back then and spent two years digging my way out.  It teaches you a lot because bad credit means poor choice availability for things in life we all strive for.  By the time I was ready to buy a house in 2003, I had things patched up enough and my wife had much better credit and an awesome credit union.  We were approved and we never looked back.

It hasn't been completely easy, as life never is.  But it's nice to look at a clean CR now knowing that I'm never going to let that happen again, at least not for making dumb decisions.

Message 44 of 82
android01
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

I more chuckle when one of the high rollers who is new to the forum posts a thread like "OMG one app and I lost 27 points!!!!! Please HELP!" and your realize their score just dropped from 830 to 803 and you have to talk them off the ledge. 

I joined this forum with scores around the 500s and something like $40K in CC debt (may have even been more, I know I posted the total once but can't remember).  So I've had a big slice of humble pie.  My scores aren't in high achiever territory yet, but I can feel pretty confident I will be approved for most credit cards.  I just try to pass on a little bit of what I learned hanging out here.   

Smiley Very Happy That's me!  Losing points for whatever reason really sucks, IMO!  It's ALLLL about the score...

On another note, can someone tell me what the definition of a "high roller" is?  I don't think I am one.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 45 of 82
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the awesome responses guys.

On that note, a credit High Roller would be somebody with multiple 25K plus cards.

Message 46 of 82
android01
Valued Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

Thanks for all the awesome responses guys.

On that note, a credit High Roller would be somebody with multiple 25K plus cards.

OK.  I guess that makes me a high roller.  Smiley Indifferent

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 47 of 82
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

I am happy to be a peasant moving in the right direction. 1 year out of college I was making more than most of my classmates in college. I rode some good luck as a derivatives trader and was making high 6 figures right out of college.  I had a fund of over 20 million dollars at my discretion to trade with . Then came addiction and bad luck.  Now post rehabs, homelessness, and the deaths of many people close to me, I'm just happy to be alive and moving back in the right direction. I was thrilled to get a Walmart card with a 400 CL last week.  Absolutely thrilled. Its a huge landmark for me. A little ego deflation is good for all of us. Certainly was to me. Those high rollers get it. Thats how most of them became high rollers in the first place. 

Happy to be a peasant in the garden...

..oh and Android.. you qualify as a high roller.. u rollin' deep...

Message 48 of 82
starry1
Valued Contributor

@dddewdrop wrote:

I am happy to be a peasant moving in the right direction. 1 year out of college I was making more than most of my classmates in college. I rode some good luck as a derivatives trader and was making high 6 figures right out of college.  I had a fund of over 20 million dollars at my discretion to trade with . Then came addiction and bad luck.  Now post rehabs, homelessness, and the deaths of many people close to me, I'm just happy to be alive and moving back in the right direction. I was thrilled to get a Walmart card with a 400 CL last week.  Absolutely thrilled. Its a huge landmark for me. A little ego deflation is good for all of us. Certainly was to me. Those high rollers get it. Thats how most of them became high rollers in the first place. 

Happy to be a peasant in the garden...

..oh and Android.. you qualify as a high roller.. u rollin' deep...

I couldn't agree with the highlighted section more.  I hadn't had a credit card in 10 years, then I got smacked with repeated large medical bills the past three years.  Once the savings ran out I was forced into bankruptcy when one of the creditors I had paid over $12k to the last three years decided to try to sue me and garnish my paycheck.  If I had stuck with credit, I would have had some backup rather than using every dime I had and then filing bk anyway.  I have learned and will never be in that situation again.  I'm really looking forward to getting back in the credit game.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 49 of 82
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

Love the topic OP Smiley LOL. I used to think that myself for a very long time! I just wish I had discovered the forums a lot earlier when I was new in the country as I had absolutely no idea about credit in general. I abused the system, made mistakes and paid for it for a long time. I have great scores now and have made up for the mistakes for the most part, but still regret those stupid decisions as I still would have been much better off without the lameness.. I ate a lot of sugar free humble pie over the years and stay grounded and have a closed Cap1 $500 from 2000 still showing up in my EQ report to remind me of that.

Maintaining good credit is now utmost priority and it taught me so much about finances in general. I have been able to help my wife start off the right way as well as few friends and take consolation in that. Peasant all the way here even if credit limits say otherwise. Smiley Very Happy

Message 50 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.