cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do MyFico High Rollers Ever Laugh at Us Peasants?

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Do MyFico High Rollers Ever Laugh at Us Peasants?

I'm happy for anyone who achieves their goals. As has been said a few times already, we all start off somewhere.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 51 of 82
distantarray
Established Contributor

lol less than 2 years ago I was DENIED a Bank of America SECURED CARD and having banked with them for 7 years that's kinda crazy imo lol

now I have over $100,000 credit limits went froma round 420's to 760's by removing all my baddies, regardless only time I shake my head is when people go on a app-o-rama not a app spree but where they apply for like 10 store cards and have adverse actions taken upon them.

Dont' get me wrong I just finished my second credit card churn in my life, but I don't think people with bad credit scores need 20 inquiries, I mean many of us have probably been there, but people need to think before they app for that many cards let alone store cards. Yes we all start somewhere but someone who's messed up in the past that many cards is hard to manage, let alone pretty pointless imo. I rather save my inquiries towards something more worthwhile, like 50k to 100k points Smiley Wink

Going from $2,400 limits ($2,000 secured) to over $100,000 was a fun journey =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 52 of 82
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

Just wondering if you guys with $35,000 JP Morgan cards and such ever read about dudes like me getting their first $500 Victoria's Secret card and chuckle to yourselves? Do you ever just stare in the mirror and say, "You made it baby, you're not like those peasants at Myfico bragging about their $150 Beall's store card."

This is a lighthearted post so hope nobody gets offended. It's meant in jest. Still, it has to be pretty amusing for guys with high credit to see some of the posts here.

Not a high roller here, just sorta medium roller Smiley LOL

Yes, I chuckle...but not because of where you are...but remembering where I came from!  You are me, not all that long ago!

We all start somewhere and just finding this place and sharing "war stories" can be encouragement to get where ya wanna be. Smiley Happy

I remember where I started, where I was, where I got dropped back to and where I am now.  I went through the normal credit building process years ago. Got to a point where I could just pick up the phone and order a new Corvette or full size SUV from a dealer on the other side of the country (no need to jump through hoops or prove myself), plenty of credit cards in the $50-$75k+ range, half mil plus home loan ect... And then... the economy went down the toilet.  Two foreclosures, one where they were trying to enter the building while I was in it (door baracaded), piles of credit card debt, phone calls every day, bankruptcy, plus a divorce, business closing and a few other things, all in a two year period.  All that left me with no credit.   3 years later I'm 18 months into an auto loan, just over $9k in credit card credit and scores in the mid to upper 600s.  Not great, but recovering. Plus I have some good stories!  I'll have cards with limits in the $25k+ range again someday. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 53 of 82
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

yes, I rememberit well, 21 years old, MasterCard and  Bank Americard (now Visa)  were just starting for the masses. your friendly Bank loan officer would forward an app you filled out and call the sponsoring bank in your region on your behalf. Then if you were lucky you would get a MC or a Bank Americard. My first MC came with a $ 29.00  af and a limit of $ 300.00. My times have changed!

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 54 of 82
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

Just wondering if you guys with $35,000 JP Morgan cards and such ever read about dudes like me getting their first $500 Victoria's Secret card and chuckle to yourselves? Do you ever just stare in the mirror and say, "You made it baby, you're not like those peasants at Myfico bragging about their $150 Beall's store card."

This is a lighthearted post so hope nobody gets offended. It's meant in jest. Still, it has to be pretty amusing for guys with high credit to see some of the posts here.

What makes you think we bother to read what you peasants post?

[Joke!]

Message 55 of 82
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I'll be the lone dissenter here and say sure, I laugh at people on a semi-regular basis. It really depends on the attitude with which they are posting, but being approved for a small limit in itself doesn't warrant condemnation. If someone is genuinely happy about being approved for a 1k limit, that's good and I'm genuinely happy for them.

Where I start to laugh is when people think they're hitting the "big-time" or show some level of arrogance, when in reality being approved for a 5-10k limit doesn't warrant that kind of attitude or anything close. The same is true when I read posts from complete morons who despite being told several times how things work, they argue that it isn't so. I've seen one poster recently who is now gone but had multiple threads, each 10+ pages long badmouthing certain lenders who refused to approve him when in reality, the problem was staring him in the mirror.

In many ways it's a reflection of society as a whole. Some guy at work couldn't stop bragging about his "brand new Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo". A lot of other people there only helped to feed his ego, but I just laughed and walked off. He didn't seem to understand why I wasn't impressed, and that's not surprising either.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 56 of 82
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

+1. Well said. It reminds me of some former friends, always bragging about new car, boat, house, stuff in general.  Their "stage" had to evolve constantly to keep the allure. As for me no longer an audience, it got boring very fast.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 57 of 82
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

This young peasant is happy to be getting close to the 100k cl. I didnt have bad credit or anything but my father did. Being the oldest son i was the one who helped him fill out papers, answer calls from banks and then file BK7. We went from having 3 houses to having to rent. 3 years later hes better now. I was there when he couldnt get a card loan or a phone under contract because or bad credit.

So i know what its like to file for bk7 and have bad credit even tho it wasnt mine. im not too crazy about my scores changing on a monthly basis but i watch my utl like a hawk! Its a fear of mine having debt, so i pay my balances weekly just so i know i pretty much dont have debt.

Ive learn a lot of info on here and im always happy to see someone who has been approved for a card they wanted after gardening or cleaning their CRs.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 58 of 82
Quips
Regular Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

No laughing at others - we've all been there. I remember starting out that way in my late teens - having to get my sister to co-sign for my first car - then watching my ability to get credit increase rapdily and thinking how great it was . Then in my late 20's I got the credit smackdown after losing my job, house foreclosure, BK and not being able to get any credit. It was a long haul back from that mess to get back on firm credit ground - so I can really appreciate the excitement with getting new credit - no matter what the CL. Thanks for the post.  

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 59 of 82
JonStur
Established Contributor

I admit I chuckle but not in a demeaning way, but in a nostalgic one. I can remember getting excited about getting my first card, JCPenneys in 1984!!! ( I probably have socks older than some of you members..)  So it's kind of like remembering your first and how far you've come.. Most people's first car was probably a piece of crap, or your first kiss was from someone with braces and horrible acne, (or you were the one with the braces and acne!!!) So it's kind of like reliving that time of excitement, and embarking on your credit or life journey through someone else's eyes..

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 60 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.