Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Secured credit cards work?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do Secured credit cards work?

I have just been fixing my credit for the last 4 months and has improved almost 100 points. It is still very low. Currently all of my debt are closed accounts (only 1 credit card), everything else is unpaid medical, cell phone bills etc... If I get a secured credit card will that help me get my score higher? If so, what kind should I get?

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do Secured credit cards work?

I would definatly get a secured card or two. Bank of America would be my first choice since they unsecure after 9-12 months of good payments. HSBC and US bank also have decent cards. How are your scores right now?
Message 2 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Secured cards help. I have/had 2 secured cards, one through BofA which graduated and one through Orchard. They are treated the same as all other CCs.

Choose a CC that has the potential to graduate after 1 yr. I'm partial to BofA.

Message 3 of 15
MrCredit
Established Contributor

BOA will approve you for secured as long as you do not have a BK. BOA secured would be my first choice, I second what hayhayday said, BOA will charge a small $29 AF but it is worth it they are well respected.... Thats a good TL to have on your bureau. They will grow with you.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My lowest is 533 as of yesterday (experian) but just 4 months ago it was 440. and the other two were 533 and 565 4 motnhs ago but I haven't pulled those two yet.

i know they are horrible but I never cared about my credit before and never bothered to try. Now I'm desperate the fix them.

Message 5 of 15
MrCredit
Established Contributor

You should go for the BOA secured put $500 in there. You can call them for an app or go into a branch. If you have a CU near you, I would check and see if they have a secured cc product. A CU can be a growing and rewarding relationship with time!!Smiley Happy Its not horrible, I have had scores like that and mine now are in the mid 600's. I have some respectable TLs now 4 years later.
Message 6 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

MrCredit wrote:
BOA will approve you for secured as long as you do not have a BK.

It also depends on your credit situation. I had apped Aug. 07 and was denied for having no BKs or PRs, but I had a 2 yo CO, 3-4 CAs, 2-3 other COs, and an EX FICO of 550-580 or so. However, I did app 3 months later after I cleaned everything and was approved for the 99/500 counter offer and that ungraduated in September. And yes, great card to grow with.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will a bank allow me to get a secured credit card with them if I owe them money? Such as a prior bank acct which accrued bounced check fees and now I owe them money?
Message 8 of 15
MrCredit
Established Contributor

no probably not, go somewhere where you dont owe money. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Will a bank allow me to get a secured credit card with them if I owe them money? Such as a prior bank acct which accrued bounced check fees and now I owe them money?

Probably not.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.