Do Secured credit cards work?

I have just been fixing my credit for the last 4 months and has improved almost 100 points. It is still very low. Currently all of my debt are closed accounts (only 1 credit card), everything else is unpaid medical, cell phone bills etc... If I get a secured credit card will that help me get my score higher? If so, what kind should I get?

Any suggestions?

Regular Contributor

Re: Do Secured credit cards work?

I would definatly get a secured card or two. Bank of America would be my first choice since they unsecure after 9-12 months of good payments. HSBC and US bank also have decent cards. How are your scores right now?
Moderator Emeritus

Secured cards help. I have/had 2 secured cards, one through BofA which graduated and one through Orchard. They are treated the same as all other CCs.

Choose a CC that has the potential to graduate after 1 yr. I'm partial to BofA.

Established Contributor

BOA will approve you for secured as long as you do not have a BK. BOA secured would be my first choice, I second what hayhayday said, BOA will charge a small $29 AF but it is worth it they are well respected.... Thats a good TL to have on your bureau. They will grow with you.

My lowest is 533 as of yesterday (experian) but just 4 months ago it was 440. and the other two were 533 and 565 4 motnhs ago but I haven't pulled those two yet.

i know they are horrible but I never cared about my credit before and never bothered to try. Now I'm desperate the fix them.

Established Contributor

You should go for the BOA secured put $500 in there. You can call them for an app or go into a branch. If you have a CU near you, I would check and see if they have a secured cc product. A CU can be a growing and rewarding relationship with time!!:smileyhappy: Its not horrible, I have had scores like that and mine now are in the mid 600's. I have some respectable TLs now 4 years later.
Moderator Emeritus

MrCredit wrote:
BOA will approve you for secured as long as you do not have a BK.

It also depends on your credit situation. I had apped Aug. 07 and was denied for having no BKs or PRs, but I had a 2 yo CO, 3-4 CAs, 2-3 other COs, and an EX FICO of 550-580 or so. However, I did app 3 months later after I cleaned everything and was approved for the 99/500 counter offer and that ungraduated in September. And yes, great card to grow with.

Will a bank allow me to get a secured credit card with them if I owe them money? Such as a prior bank acct which accrued bounced check fees and now I owe them money?
Established Contributor

no probably not, go somewhere where you dont owe money. :smileyhappy:
Valued Contributor

Gettingright wrote:
Will a bank allow me to get a secured credit card with them if I owe them money? Such as a prior bank acct which accrued bounced check fees and now I owe them money?

Probably not.

Get a myFICO recommended credit card

Copyright ©2001-2013 Fair Isaac Corporation.
All rights reserved.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.