cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Vanilla Reloads trigger Amex Financial Review?

tag
IndianaJoshua

Do Vanilla Reloads trigger Amex Financial Review?

I've just got my BCP and want to satisfy their minimum spending requirement for sign-up bonus.

I plan to buy two vanilla reload cards, several days in between, from CVS.

Does anyone know if Amex will FR me just because of two Vanilla Reload cards? 

My CL is 4000. Reported annual is 30000.

THanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Do Vanilla Reloads trigger Amex Financial Review?

@IndianaJoshua wrote:

I've just got my BCP and want to satisfy their minimum spending requirement for sign-up bonus.

I plan to buy two vanilla reload cards, several days in between, from CVS.

Does anyone know if Amex will FR me just because of two Vanilla Reload cards? 

My CL is 4000. Reported annual is 30000.

THanks in advance.

Vanilla reloads can trigger FR.

In most cases, 2 VR should not trigger FR, but there's always an underlying risk that you're taking. 

With a brand new account, customers are usually under a lot more scrutiny from the lenders, which is evident from all the SPs lenders usually do for new clients.

Avoid VR reloads as your first few purchases on your card, just to be on the safe side.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Go ahead and try and see how they react.  Others will chime in shortly...

Message 3 of 12
IndianaJoshua

So I'll just be a good citizen and keep vigilant with Amex. Thank you for the info.

Message 4 of 12
IndianaJoshua

Good point. I may be little bit selfish, though.

Message 5 of 12
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

anything is possible with amex.  I used to use my amex to buy vanilla prepaid cards all the time because there are alot of places I go to that dont take amex.  Not sure why that would be a problem, but i stopped after someone on here said amex doesnt like it. 

Its wierd that people have to curtail their spending because they are scared Amex and their funny policies, there was some guy that posted about not using his amex at walmart because it may triger f/r. LOL  If you have a card and your scared to use it because of the issuers policies It renders the card useless in my opinion, 

Discover seems like a better choice, but I have never had any issues with amex personally so i cant complain.

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Even though a FR will only give them accurate information, I wouldn't like anyone but my mortgage banker and acct to see all my business. So, I just bypass the whole VR thing and satisfy spend requirements with my usual bills.
Message 7 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

With a 4K limit, I would probably avoid it as well (and I am a strong advocate of manufactured spending).  You are going to use a significant part of your CL, and best not to do that with stuff that Amex doesn't like.  Also, not much gain with this card unless you can buy them at a supermarket (you can get My Vanilla cards, but they are more of a pain to cash out).

Consider something like ChargeSmart, which takes American Express, to pay for a car loan, mortgage, student loan etc.   It costs a little (2.5%?) but has no AA risk, it's just a purchase.

Message 8 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Even though a FR will only give them accurate information, I wouldn't like anyone but my mortgage banker and acct to see all my business. So, I just bypass the whole VR thing and satisfy spend requirements with my usual bills.
In this particular case, it's not just a privacy issue, Amex T&Cs exclude points on cash equivalents, so in theory an FR may end with you having to repay some points.
That said, on the BCP/BCE, Amex has mitigated the Manufactured Spend issue by putting on the $6K cap,  So they may care less than say Citi!

Message 9 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

Usually, if somone gets FR'ed within 3 months of cardmembership, it's rarely a "single" event which causes it.  If everything is fine with what Amex has on you, charging two VRs shouldn't be an issue, except for maybe setting off a fraud alert.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.